updating records

Joe Guerra

Aug 22, 2018, 10:36:43 AM8/22/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

I know how to update records, but not sure where I should put my code when product qty == 0.
I do have a flash notice on the show page that displays a message when the last item is left.

 Should I put update the records on the show page as well ?  (when qty == 0 )

Thanks,
Joe

Colin Law

Aug 22, 2018, 11:23:13 AM8/22/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Your question is difficult to understand given that we have no
knowledge of your application other than the text above. Why do you
need to update any records if the the quantity is already 0?

Colin

> Thanks,
> Joe

Joe Guerra

Aug 22, 2018, 11:31:47 AM8/22/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
ok, well I need to flip a few boolean values to begin the group order process.

On Wed, Aug 22, 2018 at 11:22 AM, Colin Law <cla...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 15:36, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:

> I know how to update records, but not sure where I should put my code when product qty == 0.
> I do have a flash notice on the show page that displays a message when the last item is left.
>
>  Should I put update the records on the show page as well ?  (when qty == 0 )

Your question is difficult to understand given that we have no
knowledge of your application other than the text above.  Why do you
need to update any records if the the quantity is already 0?

Colin

> Thanks,
> Joe

Colin Law

Aug 22, 2018, 11:46:26 AM8/22/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:31, Joe Guerra <jgu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:

> ok, well I need to flip a few boolean values to begin the group order process.

Oh, you mean that when the amount goes to zero you need to take some
action? In that case that should probably be initiated by the action
that sets it zero, either directly on updating it to zero or possibly
in an after filter. Or have a background job that looks for zero and
takes the appropriate action.

Colin

Joe Guerra

Aug 22, 2018, 11:54:39 AM8/22/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Ok, since it's on the show page I can check for that (and it did work on that page), but as soon as it is added I think I need to redirect to another page,

(because I don't display items that are fully funded and i got a page not found message 404)...  I'll try it soon.  Some sort of congratulations page - "we have met the target , blah blah blah..."

Thanks,
Joe

Colin Law

Aug 22, 2018, 12:01:04 PM8/22/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:54, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:

> Ok, since it's on the show page I can check for that (and it did work on that page), but as soon as it is added I think I need to redirect to another page,

You shouldn't be doing it in a view at all, you should do it in the
action or model that updates the quantity, when it sees it is zero.

Colin

> (because I don't display items that are fully funded and i got a page not found message 404)... I'll try it soon. Some sort of congratulations page - "we have met the target , blah blah blah..."
>
> Thanks,
> Joe
>

> On Wednesday, August 22, 2018 at 11:46:26 AM UTC-4, Colin Law wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 16:31, Joe Guerra <jgu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > ok, well I need to flip a few boolean values to begin the group order process.
>>
>> Oh, you mean that when the amount goes to zero you need to take some
>> action? In that case that should probably be initiated by the action
>> that sets it zero, either directly on updating it to zero or possibly
>> in an after filter. Or have a background job that looks for zero and
>> takes the appropriate action.
>>
>> Colin

Joe Guerra

Aug 22, 2018, 12:17:28 PM8/22/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Yes, in the product controller?

In
Def show
End

Colin Law

Aug 22, 2018, 12:34:02 PM8/22/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Wed, 22 Aug 2018 at 17:17, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:

> Yes, in the product controller?
>
> In
> Def show
> End

That is not a page that is a controller action, which invokes a view.
It is important to use the correct words or others will not know what
you mean. By page I assumed you meant the view. But surely you are
not changing the quantity in that action, I would have expected a
change in quantity to be in an Update action.

Colin
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAOFgAMmp1BhL1Bi8OxTbMkYunUb5KunRc6LgyKPGQpX9mfCacA%40mail.gmail.com.

Joe Guerra

Aug 22, 2018, 1:23:37 PM8/22/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
ok, so I got it working...

the process is add to cart ....  my show page updates quantity... and if it reached 0 now i've got it updating and redirecting to root_path.

works like a charm.  (not sure if that's optimal).

Joe Guerra

Aug 22, 2018, 1:29:12 PM8/22/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I've got to fix my default scope.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/34777de2-c556-4c20-8d6b-1f2484512dba%40googlegroups.com.

Walter Lee Davis

Aug 22, 2018, 8:08:53 PM8/22/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

> On Aug 22, 2018, at 1:28 PM, Joe Guerra <jgu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:
>
> I've got to fix my default scope.

Default scopes are a serious anti-pattern, and cause more pain than they solve. I cannot think of one time I used them that I didn't regret it later.

Walter

Joe Guerra

Aug 26, 2018, 12:20:47 PM8/26/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Yes, I know.

I learned about using the default scope, then put it into my app.  Then I discovered everyone said not to use them.   lol.

Colin Law

Aug 26, 2018, 12:52:29 PM8/26/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On Sun, 26 Aug 2018 at 17:20, Joe Guerra <JGu...@jginfosys.com> wrote:

> Yes, I know.
>
> I learned about using the default scope, then put it into my app. Then I discovered everyone said not to use them. lol.

Yes, default scope seems like a good idea initially, but it often end
with tears :(

Colin
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/b3d7b973-6ee6-4ca4-96e5-f40d3ff9a536%40googlegroups.com.

Joe Guerra

Aug 27, 2018, 11:16:28 AM8/27/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Great, I've got my new scope in there.  Seems to be working well.

I've got to learn how to write tests. :)