Problems with compiling in development

Paul Bergstrom

May 31, 2013, 3:45:09 AM5/31/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I have a strange problem that I suspect has to do with compiling. In
development do I need to do anything after I change the code? It still
loads a file, looking in the log file, that it shouldn't. I thought
Rails didn't compile in development.

Erwin

May 31, 2013, 5:49:17 AM5/31/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
what do you mean by :  Rails didn't compile in development
can you copy your log file in a gist ,

Paul Bergstrom

May 31, 2013, 10:21:17 AM5/31/13
Kad Kerforn wrote in post #1110772:
> what do you mean by : Rails didn't compile in development
> can you copy your log file in a gist ,
>
> Le vendredi 31 mai 2013 09:45:09 UTC+2, Ruby-Forum.com User a crit :

Not sure what I mean. I just assumed it was something with compiling.
But it could be something else. Not understanding Rails anymore is a
major problem. :-)

I'm kind of lost with Rails right now. What was simple and beautiful is
no more. I've never understood REST and I think this is what gives me
problems.

That and this compiling thing in production.

But to put it short and back to my question, can I forget compiling in
developing mode, not part of my problem?

Walter Lee Davis

May 31, 2013, 10:27:03 AM5/31/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You shouldn't need to precompile assets in development, if that's what you mean by compiling.

Walter

Colin Law

May 31, 2013, 10:30:38 AM5/31/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Ruby is not compiled. Please describe exactly the problem that you
are seeing. In order for us to help we must first understand the
problem.

Colin

Paul Bergstrom

May 31, 2013, 11:27:53 AM5/31/13
Colin Law wrote in post #1110802:
> On 31 May 2013 15:21, Paul Bergstrom <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
>> I'm kind of lost with Rails right now. What was simple and beautiful is
>> no more. I've never understood REST and I think this is what gives me
>> problems.
>>
>> That and this compiling thing in production.
>>
>> But to put it short and back to my question, can I forget compiling in
>> developing mode, not part of my problem?
>
> Ruby is not compiled. Please describe exactly the problem that you
> are seeing. In order for us to help we must first understand the
> problem.
>
> Colin

I understand. It was a file that didn't loaded as excepted. But could
have been an error on my part, e g wrong file name or something.

It helps to know that I don't have to worry about compiling in
development only production mode. Because in production I have had
problems with this, and from what I can understand I'm not the only one.
Hence my question for clarification.