undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x​567eb98> in Rails Tutorial

desbest

Oct 24, 2013, 4:47:19 PM10/24/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I'm getting a undefined method `paginate' for #<Class:0x567eb98> even though I have gem 'will_paginate' installed.
Inside the users_controller I have @users = User.paginate(page: params[:page])
so I believe I set everything up to be correct.
Can you figure out why the method's undefined, despite installing the gem?

Colin Law

Oct 24, 2013, 5:17:27 PM10/24/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Which version of Rails are you using? If Rails 2 have you referenced
will_paginate in environment.rb, if rails 3 have you put it in your
Gemfile and run bundle install?

Colin

tynamite

Oct 24, 2013, 6:11:33 PM10/24/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I'm using Rails 3 and I've ran bundle install and put it in my Gemfile.

Frederick Cheung

Oct 25, 2013, 4:07:55 AM10/25/13

On Thursday, October 24, 2013 11:11:33 PM UTC+1, desbest wrote:
I'm using Rails 3 and I've ran bundle install and put it in my Gemfile.

And you restarted the app after doing this?

Fred

Colin Law

Oct 25, 2013, 5:12:01 AM10/25/13
On 24 October 2013 23:11, tynamite <afanint...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm using Rails 3 and I've ran bundle install and put it in my Gemfile.

Please don't top post, it makes it difficult to follow the thread.
Insert your reply inline. Thanks.

Hopefully you mean that you have put it in Gemfile and run bundle install :)
What does it show for paginate in Gemfile.lock?

Copy/paste the full error output here and the section of the
controller file containing the line giving the problem. Give us a
line number in the file so we can cross reference to the error.

Colin

desbest

Oct 25, 2013, 11:45:04 AM10/25/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com, cla...@googlemail.com

 Gemfile.lock says

bootstrap-will_paginate (0.0.9)

    will_paginate

will_paginate (3.0.4)

under GEM
and
will_paginate (= 3.0.4)
under dependencies.

I restarted the app using rails server and it didn't work, but when I restarted my computer it started to work.
Thanks for your help.

Kashif Umair Liaqat

Oct 27, 2013, 12:16:26 AM10/27/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

I am a little late in discussion but I've the solution to the problem :)

If you are using rails 4 then try this.

@users = User.all.paginate(page: params[:page]

Note that User.all will be an ActiveRelation on which paginate method works.

If you are using rails 3 then try this.

@users = User.where('').paginate(page: params[:page])

The reason to use an empty where is because where will return the ActiveRelation which is more efficient instead of loading an array using User.all.

Note that User.all will return ActiveRelation in rails 4 and in rails 3 it will return an Array.