Restarting Terminal when creating new attribute in atom question

Thomas O'Boyle

Aug 31, 2014, 3:07:28 AM8/31/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I just started the UT on Rails class through reddit and am completely new to programing.  I apologize for not being able to articulate my problem clearly.  I am watching this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EU98yHB-_7A and at 16:18 when the instructor restarts something (terminal) I get completely lost.  He consules back into rails after this restart but when I do this I get this:

"User.last.cars

  User Load (0.4ms)  SELECT  "users".* FROM "users"   ORDER BY "users"."id" DESC LIMIT 1

NoMethodError: undefined method `cars' for #<User:0x00......."

I apologize again for the poorly asked question but I am really new with all of this.

Thanks so much!

Happy labor day!

Norbert Melzer

Aug 31, 2014, 4:26:24 AM8/31/14
to Rails Mailinglist

Have you followed his steps and changed your model? In other words, have you added the line has_many :cars in app/models/user.rb?

Thomas O'Boyle

Aug 31, 2014, 12:29:44 PM8/31/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Nobert,

Thanks for responding to my question.  I have completely followed his steps until the restart part.  I did notice that when the instructor adds attributes such as :condition and :year that they automatically appear in sublime, but when I check my work in atom the attr_accessible does not appear.  Could this be the issue?

Thanks again for responding!

Colin Law

Aug 31, 2014, 1:00:16 PM8/31/14
On 31 August 2014 17:29, Thomas O'Boyle <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Nobert,
>
> Thanks for responding to my question. I have completely followed his steps
> until the restart part. I did notice that when the instructor adds
> attributes such as :condition and :year that they automatically appear in
> sublime, but when I check my work in atom the attr_accessible does not
> appear. Could this be the issue?

You did not answer the question as to whether you have added the line
has_many :cars in app/models/user.rb?
As to the issue with attr_accessible, you have to make sure that your
code is the same as the one in the tutorial.

Colin
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/94d15c75-9b8d-4b75-90d7-5d7671f52217%40googlegroups.com.

Thomas O'Boyle

Aug 31, 2014, 1:16:10 PM8/31/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replying Colin.  I added the "has_many: cars" line in app/models/user.rb just like the instructor.  With the attr_accessible part, everything is exactly as it is in the tutorial.  I have gone through the project serval times to insure that I am doing everything right and get the same issues every time.

Thanks again for replying!

Norbert Melzer

Aug 31, 2014, 1:53:18 PM8/31/14
to Rails Mailinglist
 I added the "has_many: cars" line in app/models/user.rb just like the instructor.

Typo or copied? It has to be `has_many :cars` instead of `has_many: cars`!

If it is just a typo, please show us your complete `db/schema.rb` and `app/models/{user,car}.rb`

Colin Law

Aug 31, 2014, 4:41:06 PM8/31/14
On 31 August 2014 18:16, Thomas O'Boyle <thomas...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for replying Colin. I added the "has_many: cars" line in

There is the problem then, it should be has_many :cars, not has_many:
cars. If you think that is what you have got then copy/paste user.rb
here.

Colin