rvm install <anyruby> fails with configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs

fugee ohu

Dec 17, 2016, 5:32:27 PM12/17/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

I tried installing build-essential, g++ now getting this error from ~/.rvm/log/configure.log

[2016-12-17 14:17:50] ./configure
current path: /home/myusername/.rvm/src/ruby-2.3.3
PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/home/myusername/.rvm/bin
command(4): ./configure --prefix=/home/myusername/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.3.3 --disable-install-doc --enable-shared
checking for ruby... false
checking build system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking target system type... x86_64-pc-linux-gnu
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in /home/myusername/.rvm/src/ruby-2.3.3': configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs. If you meant to cross compile, use--host'.
See `config.log' for more details

Colin Law

Dec 18, 2016, 3:43:59 AM12/18/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 17 December 2016 at 22:32, fugee ohu <fuge...@gmail.com> wrote:
> configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs. If you meant to cross
> compile, use--host

Have you got a file ~/.rvmrc? If so what is in it?

Paste here the results of rvm info

Colin

fugee ohu

Dec 18, 2016, 3:57:14 PM12/18/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
no i don't have .rvmrc anywhere

Colin Law

Dec 18, 2016, 5:27:04 PM12/18/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Because you top posted instead of inserting your reply inline you
failed, I presume, to notice my second question.

Colin

fugee ohu

Dec 18, 2016, 6:42:47 PM12/18/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

Actually I've been very good about it I just forgot with of all people you, the only one who cares Story of my life There's no such file so there's nothing in it

fugee ohu

Dec 18, 2016, 9:06:03 PM12/18/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

So do you have any more ideas?

Walter Lee Davis

Dec 18, 2016, 9:28:59 PM12/18/16
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
The second question was "paste here the results of `rvm info`?", so if you run that, maybe you can see some more debugging data.

Walter

Frederick Cheung

Dec 22, 2016, 5:18:22 AM12/22/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 10:32:27 PM UTC, fugee ohu wrote:

checking whether we are cross compiling... configure: error: in /home/myusername/.rvm/src/ruby-2.3.3': configure: error: cannot run C compiled programs. If you meant to cross compile, use--host'.

See `config.log' for more details

My next step would be to continue down the rabbit hole & check config.log

Fred

Colin Law

Dec 25, 2016, 8:06:21 AM12/25/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 19 December 2016 at 02:28, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:

>> On Dec 18, 2016, at 9:06 PM, fugee ohu <fuge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 5:27:04 PM UTC-5, Colin Law wrote:
>> On 18 December 2016 at 20:57, fugee ohu <fuge...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > no i don't have .rvmrc anywhere

>> Because you top posted instead of inserting your reply inline you
>> failed, I presume, to notice my second question.
>>
>> Colin
>>
>> So do you have any more ideas?
>
> The second question was "paste here the results of `rvm info`?", so if you run that, maybe you can see some more debugging data.

@Fugee did you resolve this problem?

Colin