Failure to install or update any gem through Win CMD

Alexis Cretton

Nov 30, 2015, 8:24:15 AM11/30/15
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

I've been trying to install and update different gems to work with Ruby
on Rails, but keep getting the same error, apparently indicating I can't
install or update any gem:

I generally type in something like:

gem update --system or gem install Rails --version 4.0.0 --no-ri
--no-rdoc

And get the following:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EINVAL)
Invalid Argument - socket(2) - udp

Note that I've proceeded to the same setup just a couple of days before
on a different machine and had no problem.

I couldn't figure any place where this same Error was explained or
encoutered.

Anybody here can help out?

Colin Law

Nov 30, 2015, 9:19:19 AM11/30/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 30 November 2015 at 13:19, Alexis Cretton <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I've been trying to install and update different gems to work with Ruby
> on Rails, but keep getting the same error, apparently indicating I can't
> install or update any gem:
>
> I generally type in something like:
>
> gem update --system or gem install Rails --version 4.0.0 --no-ri
> --no-rdoc
>
> And get the following:
>
> ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EINVAL)
> Invalid Argument - socket(2) - udp
>
> Note that I've proceeded to the same setup just a couple of days before
> on a different machine and had no problem.

Are you running the same version of Ruby on both setups, and which version is it
ruby -v
will tell you.

You may well have difficulties getting help with a Windows setup
however, as few Rails developers use Win.

Colin

Matt Jones

Dec 11, 2015, 6:38:23 PM12/11/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

On Monday, 30 November 2015 08:24:15 UTC-5, Ruby-Forum.com User wrote:
Hello,

I've been trying to install and update different gems to work with Ruby
on Rails, but keep getting the same error, apparently indicating I can't
install or update any gem:

I generally type in something like:

gem update --system or gem install Rails --version 4.0.0 --no-ri
--no-rdoc

And get the following:

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Errno::EINVAL)
Invalid Argument - socket(2) - udp

Note that I've proceeded to the same setup just a couple of days before
on a different machine and had no problem.

I couldn't figure any place where this same Error was explained or
encoutered.

The error you've described looks a lot like this one:

Can you run the script linked there and paste your output?

Since this is (potentially) a networking issue, any information about your setup (system version, network config, any proxies in use, etc) would be useful.

--Matt Jones

fugee ohu

Dec 12, 2015, 9:14:50 AM12/12/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk