What is the name of that gem?

Walter Lee Davis

Sep 10, 2018, 3:28:27 PM9/10/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I am having a very hard time googling for this. It's a gem you add to your rails application, and it allows you to then request Node modules as if they were gems, and get them added to the asset pipeline. It's a combination of a gem and a packaging service that wraps (maybe auto-wraps) the official NPM modules as gems, and makes them discoverable and installable without a lot of process or drama.

Can anyone remind me of the name of this gem/service?

Walter

Joe Guerra

Sep 10, 2018, 3:32:47 PM9/10/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Joe Guerra

Sep 10, 2018, 3:34:26 PM9/10/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

Walter Lee Davis

Sep 10, 2018, 3:59:30 PM9/10/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Nope, neither of those. I recall that you would just be able to add lines to the Gemfile for each npm package, and they would be auto-loaded into the application.js.

Walter

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 3:34:26 PM UTC-4, Joe Guerra wrote:
or this?
https://github.com/rstacruz/npm-pipeline-rails

On Monday, September 10, 2018 at 3:32:47 PM UTC-4, Joe Guerra wrote:
On Mon, Sep 10, 2018 at 3:28 PM, Walter Lee Davis <wa...@wdstudio.com> wrote:
I am having a very hard time googling for this. It's a gem you add to your rails application, and it allows you to then request Node modules as if they were gems, and get them added to the asset pipeline. It's a combination of a gem and a packaging service that wraps (maybe auto-wraps) the official NPM modules as gems, and makes them discoverable and installable without a lot of process or drama.

Can anyone remind me of the name of this gem/service?

Walter

Greg Navis

Sep 10, 2018, 4:18:40 PM9/10/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I found https://github.com/endenwer/npm-rails but it uses a separate file, not Gemfile.

Walter Lee Davis

Sep 10, 2018, 4:49:56 PM9/10/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Someone reminded me off-list that I was thinking of https://rails-assets.org, which is for Bower, not NPM. Lovely tooling, gone too soon.

Walter

Rob Zolkos

Sep 10, 2018, 5:33:45 PM9/10/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
These problems are largely solved by webpacker now in Rails.   Just add npm packages to your package.json (just as easy as adding to a Gemfile) and it works great with the asset pipeline.

Rob Zolkos

Sep 10, 2018, 5:34:03 PM9/10/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Are you thinking of https://rails-assets.org/#/

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 at 6:18 am, Greg Navis <con...@gregnavis.com> wrote:
I found https://github.com/endenwer/npm-rails but it uses a separate file, not Gemfile.

Nielson Rolim

Sep 10, 2018, 5:39:17 PM9/10/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
You can use just Yarn without webpacker too.