Your procedure for starting a new Ruby on Rails app

Jason Hsu, Ruby on High Speed Rails

Oct 22, 2016, 12:08:37 PM10/22/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm currently working on a procedure for starting a new Ruby on Rails app.  The URL is https://github.com/jhsu802701/rails_from_scratch_rails5 .  The idea is to be able to create a HIGH-QUALITY starter app with authentication and comprehensive tests completely from scratch in just a few hours.  I'll be using this procedure to create starter apps for my GenericApp gem so that I can start new, high-quality, and up-to-date apps willy-nilly.  (Good luck getting anywhere at Startup Weekend or a 24-hour web site challenge when you need precious hours just to get the basics up and running.)  It also doubles as a giant cheat sheet of how to do many routine tasks and add many routine features to legacy apps.  Yes, I find this 100% necessary, because I don't have a photographic memory.  I HATE having to struggle with something that I already did before simply because I don't have every detail memorized.

Michael Hartl's Rails Tutorial inspired me.  I like what he did, but I disagree with some of the ways he does things.  (My biggest disagreement is with his large steps.  I break the process down into many small steps so that I don't lose track of what I'm doing and to make sure that I can quickly resolve any setbacks I encounter.)

When you start a new Ruby on Rails app with the "rails new" command, what's your procedure?  Are there any procedures out there that are similar to or better than Rails Tutorial?  I just cannot imagine how you can get anything done in a reasonable amount of time without a procedure spelled out.  I'm surprised that there aren't already hundreds or thousands of different procedures like mine out there.

Allen Maxwell

Oct 24, 2016, 1:57:58 AM10/24/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

Depending on my needs, I often use RailsComposer by Daniel Kehoe.  Some great options and the ability to create your own scripts - so you can build whatever you like...

tamouse pontiki

Oct 24, 2016, 9:03:24 AM10/24/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm pretty sure you know this, but I have my own set of startup templates at https://github.com/tamouse/my-rails-application-templates

On Mon, Oct 24, 2016 at 12:57 AM Allen Maxwell <allen....@bhghome.com> wrote:

Depending on my needs, I often use RailsComposer by Daniel Kehoe.  Some great options and the ability to create your own scripts - so you can build whatever you like...

tamouse pontiki

Oct 24, 2016, 9:05:34 AM10/24/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
oh, plus I have these two things: