faker gem for Blog and comment

k.st...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2017, 11:27:49 AM7/27/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi, how do I push fake data with faker when I have:

blog
title:string

and

comment
name:string
body:text_field

comments belongs_to :blog

then seed.rb:

5.times do
  comment.create([{
    name: Faker::jadajada
    body: Faker::jadajada
}])

but how do I include blog title as well? There should be some kind of nesting?

Hassan Schroeder

Jul 27, 2017, 11:48:49 AM7/27/17
to rubyonrails-talk
On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:15 PM, <k.st...@gmail.com> wrote:

> then seed.rb:
>
> 5.times do
> comment.create([{
> name: Faker::jadajada
> body: Faker::jadajada
> }])
>
> but how do I include blog title as well?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? "include" where?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

k.st...@gmail.com

Jul 27, 2017, 8:10:02 PM7/27/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I want to populate data between 2 models (blog title and comment body). In my example "5.times do..." I'm populating fake data only for my comment model. How do I populate for both?

Colin Law

Jul 28, 2017, 4:00:58 AM7/28/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 28 July 2017 at 01:10, <k.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to populate data between 2 models (blog title and comment body). In
> my example "5.times do..." I'm populating fake data only for my comment
> model. How do I populate for both?

Create the blog with its title and add the comments to the blog. If
you want separate blogs for each comment then put that inside the loop
so you create five blogs and comments.

Colin

> On Friday, July 28, 2017 at 1:48:49 AM UTC+10, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, Jul 26, 2017 at 11:15 PM, <k.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > then seed.rb:
>> >
>> > 5.times do
>> > comment.create([{
>> > name: Faker::jadajada
>> > body: Faker::jadajada
>> > }])
>> >
>> > but how do I include blog title as well?
>>
>> What exactly are you trying to accomplish? "include" where?
>>
>> --
>> Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
>> twitter: @hassan
>> Consulting Availability : Silicon Valley or remote

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/5339c5e1-df60-4026-9157-73c28b28ccca%40googlegroups.com.

K S

Jul 29, 2017, 2:56:11 AM7/29/17
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
How should the loop look like?

5 times do...

???

Colin Law

Jul 29, 2017, 3:17:45 AM7/29/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 29 July 2017 at 07:55, K S <k.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> How should the loop look like?
>
> 5 times do...
>
> ???

You know how to create a comment so presumably you can work out how to
create a blog. Do you mean you don't know how to add the comment to
the blog? This should help, choose the way you want from the several
described in http://guides.rubyonrails.org/association_basics.html#has-many-association-reference.
It is probably worth your while looking through all the guides.

In fact since it seems you are a beginner I suggest working right
through a good tutorial such as railstutorial.org, which is free to
use online.

Colin
>> > email to rubyonrails-ta...@googlegroups.com.
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/5339c5e1-df60-4026-9157-73c28b28ccca%40googlegroups.com.

>> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAFNzrsedh4%3D-_CGFW8O1D%3DbFu01xjvFWUSiVOTVfwJgovoVeZg%40mail.gmail.com.

K S

Aug 1, 2017, 2:17:42 AM8/1/17
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info but this is not the case. I already have a blog, with comments etc. My main question is: how to use 'faker' gem to populate data for blog title and comment body? What code should I put in seed.rb?

i.e:

5.times do ([{

what code do I need to put here??

}])

>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/5339c5e1-df60-4026-9157-73c28b28ccca%40googlegroups.com.

>> --

>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rubyonrails-talk/CAL%3D0gLuDtRkvedUEM9XGrKbHHKefQuTF2fMB59ynT5HMa8MJew%40mail.gmail.com.

Colin Law

Aug 1, 2017, 4:05:10 AM8/1/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 1 August 2017 at 07:17, K S <k.st...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks for the info but this is not the case. I already have a blog, with
> comments etc. My main question is: how to use 'faker' gem to populate data
> for blog title and comment body? What code should I put in seed.rb?

OK, you say you already have a blog. Let us take this one step at a
time. You say you want to set the blog title. Assuming that you have
the blog in a variable called theblog then you can set the title using
theblog.title = Faker:whatever

What is it that you don't understand with that?

By the way I would prefer it if you did not top post, it makes it much
easier for me to follow the thread if you insert your reply at
appropriate points in the previous message. Thanks.

Colin