How to monitor feature usage

Rob Jonson

Mar 15, 2018, 8:22:54 AM3/15/18
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi Folks,

I'd like to be able to answer questions like

'over the last week, what proportion of my users used feature XXX'

or even

'over the last week, what proportion of active users used feature XXX'

can anyone recommend a service / gem / pattern to help me do this?

cheers,

Rob

Walter Lee Davis

Mar 15, 2018, 10:12:33 PM3/15/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried just Google Analytics? Or Splunk for log analysis?

Walter

Hassan Schroeder

Mar 16, 2018, 1:54:20 PM3/16/18
to rubyonrails-talk
On Thu, Mar 15, 2018 at 5:22 AM, Rob Jonson <rob.j...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 'over the last week, what proportion of my users used feature XXX'

It seems to me that this is very dependent on your exact definition
of "used" and "feature", as well as how isolated these "features" are
in your application.

Perhaps you could provide a more concrete example?

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

Rob Jonson

Mar 16, 2018, 2:19:07 PM3/16/18
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

Have you tried just Google Analytics? Or Splunk for log analysis?
Walter

we do have google analytics - but I'm not sure how I would use it to answer questions re percentage of users. Am I missing something?

> 'over the last week, what proportion of my users used feature XXX'

It seems to me that this is very dependent on your exact definition
of "used" and "feature", as well as how isolated these "features" are
in your application.

Perhaps you could provide a more concrete example?

ok - two examples:

1) visited the dashboard (identified by a url, controller/action)
2) clicked on a button that showed a 'you need to upgrade to use this feature' message (no interaction with the server)

in both cases, it would be easy for me to call some js code

log_feature(user_id,feature_name)

thoughts?

thanks,

Rob

--

Hobbyist Software is a trading name of Hobbyist Software Limited. Registered office 12 Fraley Rd, Bristol, BS93BS. Registered in England. Company no:7876492

Hassan Schroeder

Mar 16, 2018, 3:36:33 PM3/16/18
to rubyonrails-talk
On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 11:18 AM, Rob Jonson <r...@hobbyistsoftware.com> wrote:

> 1) visited the dashboard (identified by a url, controller/action)
> 2) clicked on a button that showed a 'you need to upgrade to use this
> feature' message (no interaction with the server)
>

> in both cases, it would be easy for me to call some js code
>
> log_feature(user_id,feature_name)

OK, then, you're set :-)

I mean, consider it writing a feature that is "tracking use of features".
It seems similar in concept to integrated A/B testing, and I imagine
there are gems for that you could use for ideas.

HTH!