Re: [Rails] Python User In Need Of Help Setting Up And Customizing Open Source, Simple Rails App!

Khizer Mehdi

Sep 28, 2015, 2:34:10 PM9/28/15
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

This is an rails application  you need to start  application  with any application server such as Unicorn, Thin, Mongrel
Once application is started, you can configure with  webserver i.e Nginx or Apache.

 u need to  create subdomain under example.com as landingpage.example.com configure this url in Nginx or Apache.

On Mon, Sep 28, 2015 at 11:55 AM, Israel Mastoris <masto...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello, I'm hoping someone smart can spare some time and help me out. I'm trying to launch this "Viral Landing Page" App.

https://github.com/harrystech/prelaunchr

I was hoping someone could explain a couple things to me about this simple app, such as:

Where do I change the CSS file?

Besides what's obvious in the readme, is there anything else I should be aware of to make this work, or to customize, besides deployment?

Will deployment be difficult for me, someone who only knows Python, HTML, and CSS?

How do I attach this app to my existing site, with a custom URL? Example: How do I make the app be at

landingpage.example.com
if my page is
example.com

Please let me know if you can help me out. Thanks in advance!

Hassan Schroeder

Sep 28, 2015, 4:18:05 PM9/28/15
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sun, Sep 27, 2015 at 11:25 PM, Israel Mastoris <masto...@gmail.com> wrote:

> https://github.com/harrystech/prelaunchr

I would recommend looking at the forks of this inactive "project"
and picking one using a current version of Rails.

> I was hoping someone could explain a couple things to me about this simple
> app, such as:
>
> Where do I change the CSS file?

Look in the directory called 'app/assets/stylesheets'.

> Besides what's obvious in the readme, is there anything else I should be
> aware of to make this work, or to customize, besides deployment?
>
> Will deployment be difficult for me, someone who only knows Python, HTML,
> and CSS?

Who can say? Try locally, try deploying it on your server[*] and come
back if you have specific problems.

[*] it might be easier deploying to heroku than your own server. FWIW.

Good luck.
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder

Israel Mastoris

Sep 29, 2015, 1:58:33 AM9/29/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thanks for the help guys :-)

Especially thanks for the advice about the fork. I was wondering about the version difference.