Uploading from desktop to Heroku

braini...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2019, 12:21:51 PM2/23/19
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hey everyone,

It appears I have gotten all the kinks worked out of this webapp. What I would like to do now is upload it to Heroku from my Ubuntu Desktop. Please advise to the steps associated with performing that task and any and all advise in regard to things I should watch out for or be concerned about.

Thank you

Joe Guerra

Feb 23, 2019, 12:52:10 PM2/23/19
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You should create a github repository and add your code there first.  Then when you create your rails heroku app, just select the repository.   It will pull your files from the repo and build your app online.

Hassan Schroeder

Feb 23, 2019, 12:57:57 PM2/23/19
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 9:22 AM <braini...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It appears I have gotten all the kinks worked out of this webapp. What I would like to do now is upload it to Heroku from my Ubuntu Desktop. Please advise to the steps associated with performing that task and any and all advise in regard to things I should watch out for or be concerned about.

Heroku's docs are pretty good -- I'd start here:

https://devcenter.heroku.com/categories/command-line

Good luck!
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

braini...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2019, 1:21:01 PM2/23/19
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Why do I want to create a github first? What is the value in doing so? What if that isn't something i want to do?

Hassan Schroeder

Feb 23, 2019, 1:40:27 PM2/23/19
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 10:21 AM <braini...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why do I want to create a github first? What is the value in doing so?

Interaction with Heroku aside,

1. You have your code somewhere besides your local disk as backup
2. It makes your project code accessible if you're switching computers
3. It allows you to easily collaborate with others on your project
4. Github will scan your dependencies and report packages that have
security updates to be installed

For starters :-)

braini...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2019, 1:57:11 PM2/23/19
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Maybe i should rephrase the question. If I have another online source safe, why should I use github? Is there not a way to go directly from my development machine to uploading to Heroku?

Hassan Schroeder

Feb 23, 2019, 2:01:30 PM2/23/19
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sat, Feb 23, 2019 at 10:57 AM <braini...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Maybe i should rephrase the question. If I have another online source safe, why should I use github?

Ah, different question.

> Is there not a way to go directly from my development machine to uploading to Heroku?

?? I sent a link to Heroku's docs already -- did you look there?

David Merrick

Feb 23, 2019, 2:07:11 PM2/23/19
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi you need to create a git repository. You can upload from git or upload from your local computer.

By using these statements, This works on Linux Mint ad should work on there distros.

You need to log into your heroku account bu using heroku login in the terminal.

Then create your app on Heroku with appname  is created by heroku create
All terminal commands.

$ rails test
$ heroku login
$  heroku create
$ git init
$ heroku git:remote -a appname
$ git add .
$ git commit -am "make it better"
$ git push heroku master
$ heroku maintenance:on
$ heroku pg:reset DATABASE
$ heroku run rails db:migrate
$ heroku run rails db:seed
$ heroku maintenance:off
$ heroku restart

Cheers Dave

Dave Merrick

Daves Web Designs

Website http://www.daveswebdesigns.co.nz

Email merri...@gmail.com

Ph   03 216 2053

Cell 027 3089 169

braini...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2019, 2:13:34 PM2/23/19
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Thank you David, Hassan and Joe. Your assistance has been greatly appreciated.