Rails continuos integration

Vivek Vvk

Oct 25, 2016, 4:33:03 PM10/25/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi,

I am using Jenkins and ansible to automate my rails application deployment process. I would like to know, if there is any specific build process for rails app like Java application.

Right now, I am using the below set of process to automate my application deployment.

·       Fetches the code from Git source code repository.

·       Build the code (tar) and put it in the build server.

·       Triggers the deployment jobs.

     Ansible

·       Copy the build package to the remote deployment server.

·       Un tar the build package.

·       Tag the release version.

·       Stop app

·       Link the release version to the application folder. (Deploy application)

·       Start app

·       Maintains 3 release versions in the target deployment server. (So that we can rollback to previous version of the code, if required.

Please suggest if we have any specific build process for rails app. Currently I am just using tar.

Hassan Schroeder

Oct 25, 2016, 6:34:05 PM10/25/16
to rubyonrails-talk
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Vivek Vvk <wiwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please suggest if we have any specific build process for rails app.

I'd call this more of a "deployment" than "build" tool, but it's most
definitely in widespread use:

http://capistranorb.com/

HTH!
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder

Vivek Vvk

Oct 26, 2016, 9:37:13 AM10/26/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
yes, thats more of a deployment tool. I am able to deploy my rails app in a continuos manner right now. I just want to know if my approach is rite and if there is any specific build techniques for rails app. Currently, I just pull the source code from repo --> tar it into a package--> stop app  in target ---> untar the package in target (and some other release versioning stuff) using ansible --> start the app.

Thanks,
Vivek

Hassan Schroeder

Oct 26, 2016, 9:52:01 AM10/26/16
to rubyonrails-talk
On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 6:37 AM, Vivek Vvk <wiwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes, thats more of a deployment tool. I am able to deploy my rails app in a
> continuos manner right now. I just want to know if my approach is rite and
> if there is any specific build techniques for rails app.

What do you think you need to "build"? Ruby isn't Java :-)

Colin Law

Oct 26, 2016, 9:57:00 AM10/26/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 26 October 2016 at 14:37, Vivek Vvk <wiwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
yes, thats more of a deployment tool. I am able to deploy my rails app in a continuos manner right now. I just want to know if my approach is rite and if there is any specific build techniques for rails app. Currently, I just pull the source code from repo --> tar it into a package--> stop app  in target ---> untar the package in target (and some other release versioning stuff) using ansible --> start the app.

Is that not deployment? - Pulling the latest version from a repo onto the target and restarting it.
That is what capistrano is for.

Colin

Thanks,
Vivek

On Wednesday, 26 October 2016 04:04:05 UTC+5:30, Hassan Schroeder wrote:
On Tue, Oct 25, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Vivek Vvk <wiwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Please suggest if we have any specific build process for rails app.

I'd call this more of a "deployment" than "build" tool, but it's most
definitely in widespread use:

http://capistranorb.com/

HTH!
--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
http://about.me/hassanschroeder
twitter: @hassan

Message has been deleted

Vivek Vvk

Oct 29, 2016, 7:00:02 AM10/29/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
yes, it is. But I was looking for more of a delivery process. Pulling the latest version from repository and restarting app is fine for internal deployment. How abt delivering it like a package to external clients?

Hassan Schroeder

Oct 29, 2016, 12:12:34 PM10/29/16
to rubyonrails-talk
On Sat, Oct 29, 2016 at 4:00 AM, Vivek Vvk <wiwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> yes, it is. But I was looking for more of a delivery process.

Uh, then why did you title your post "continuous integration"?

> How abt delivering it like a package to external clients?

How about it? What exactly do you mean by "like a package"?

What do you expect these "external clients" to do with the "package"?

Hint: if you can't actually define your requirements, you're unlikely to
find very good solutions here or anywhere else :-)