Mail notifications to self Net::SMTPAuthenticationError

bradford li

Nov 18, 2014, 3:22:19 PM11/18/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I am trying to set up a mailer to send myself notification methods. I am currently trying to get the mailer to send myself a simple message when I go to the URL `localhost:3000/send_mail`

I am currently getting this error:

    Net::SMTPAuthenticationError in HomeController#send_mail
    534-5.7.9 Application-specific password required

development.rb:

      config.action_mailer.raise_delivery_errors = true
      host = 'localhost:3000'
      config.action_mailer.default_url_options = { host: host }
      config.action_mailer.delivery_method = :smtp
      config.action_mailer.smtp_settings = {
        address:              'smtp.gmail.com',
        port:                 587,
        domain:               'gmail.com',
        user_name:            'mye...@gmail.com',
        password:             'mypwd',
        authentication:       'plain',
        enable_starttls_auto: true  }

routes:

   match '/send_mail', to: "home#send_mail", via: "get"

home controller:

    class HomeController < ApplicationController
      def index
      end

      def send_mail
      ActionMailer::Base.mail(:from => "m...@example.com", :to => "mye...@gmail.com", :subject => "Contact request", :body => "test").deliver_now
        render nothing: true
      end
    end

wdperson

Nov 18, 2014, 3:33:25 PM11/18/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hello,

The reason you are getting that error is because more than likely you have set up 2 factor authentication with Google/Gmail.  So it is saying you need to include a application specific password.  In other words don't use the usual login password, create an application specific password on Google/Gmail and then use that in your smtp settings.  Hope this helps.

Mike Riley

Rob Biedenharn

Nov 18, 2014, 3:34:39 PM11/18/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com