importing .csv file from user and storing data of csv into database using ruby on rails.

iampravee...@gmail.com

Aug 24, 2015, 4:28:12 AM8/24/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk, itspravee...@yahoo.com
Hi friends , I am modifying virtualX open source application. I wanted to introduce new functionality that is uploading questions from .csv file and storing those questions to the database. I am very new to ruby this task becomes very tough for me . So i referred so many websites and blogs and i ready some code for this feature . but this is code is not working . I am getting HTTP 500 error . As i checked code in Aptanan Studio , it is showing some errors. I am posting my code over here . Please help me friends . I am really not getting what is happening .

I am using Ruby  1.8.7
Rails 3.0.3

questions_controller.rb

def import

@question = Question.new

@question.import(params[:file])
    redirect_to root_url
, notice: "Questions imported succefully."

end

questions.rb

def self.import(file)
CSV
.foreach(file.path, headers: true) do |row|

question_hash
= row.to_hash
@question = Question.where(id: question_hash[“id”])

if @question.count == 1
@question.first.update_attributes(question_hash)
else
Question.save!(question_hash)
end # end if !@question.nil?
end # end CSV.foreach
end # end self.import(file)

question_type_listing.html.erb

<fieldset class="formContainer">
<legend><%=t('question.select_qtype_cat')%></legend>

<%= form_tag({:action => "import"}, multipart: true) do %>

<%= file_field_tag :file %>

<%= submit_tag "Import CSV" %>

<% end %>

</fieldset>

When i placed this code in respective modules . And restarted server apart from this all working fine . Please help me to resolve this issue .

Thanks and regards

Frederick Cheung

Aug 24, 2015, 8:08:58 AM8/24/15

On Monday, August 24, 2015 at 9:28:12 AM UTC+1, iampravee...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi friends , I am modifying virtualX open source application. I wanted to introduce new functionality that is uploading questions from .csv file and storing those questions to the database. I am very new to ruby this task becomes very tough for me . So i referred so many websites and blogs and i ready some code for this feature . but this is code is not working . I am getting HTTP 500 error . As i checked code in Aptanan Studio , it is showing some errors. I am posting my code over here . Please help me friends . I am really not getting what is happening .

Check your log file (development.log) - it should contain extra details about the problem (such as a stack trace)

I am using Ruby  1.8.7
Rails 3.0.3

Just fyi, both of these 2 release series are unmaintained. Rails 3.0.3 has several remote code execution flaws

if @question.count == 1
@question.first.update_attributes(question_hash)
else
Question.save!(question_hash)
end # end if !@question.nil?

This line looks fishy - there is no class method called save!. Perhaps you meant create! ?

Fred

Matt Jones

Aug 27, 2015, 4:02:23 PM8/27/15

On Monday, 24 August 2015 04:28:12 UTC-4, iampravee...@gmail.com wrote:
Hi friends , I am modifying virtualX open source application. I wanted to introduce new functionality that is uploading questions from .csv file and storing those questions to the database. I am very new to ruby this task becomes very tough for me . So i referred so many websites and blogs and i ready some code for this feature . but this is code is not working . I am getting HTTP 500 error . As i checked code in Aptanan Studio , it is showing some errors.

In future, please also post the errors; since this isn't all the code in your application we can't run it to see what happens, and are relying on you to tell us.

I am posting my code over here . Please help me friends . I am really not getting what is happening .

I am using Ruby  1.8.7
Rails 3.0.3

questions_controller.rb

def import

@question = Question.new

@question.import(params[:file])

You've defined the import method below as a class method (`def self.import`) but are attempting to call an instance method here on `@question`.

The two lines above should likely be:

Question.import(params[:file])

    redirect_to root_url, notice: "Questions imported succefully."

end

questions.rb

def self.import(file)
CSV
.foreach(file.path, headers: true) do |row|

question_hash
= row.to_hash
@question = Question.where(id: question_hash[“id”])

Double-check your source file: the line you've pasted here has slant-quotes (“ and ”) which are not the same thing to Ruby as a straight double-quote ("). It's also possible that these were adding while composing the email.

if @question.count == 1
@question.first.update_attributes(question_hash)
else
Question.save!(question_hash)

What is the intent of this line? Are there situations where you can have multiple `Question` records with the same ID? There is not a class method called `save!` built into ActiveRecord.

--Matt Jones

Elizabeth McGurty

Aug 28, 2015, 10:15:07 AM8/28/15
   @question = Question.new    ## You have just created a new instance of model class Question

   @question.import(params[:file])
      redirect_to root_url, notice: "Questions imported succefully."
  end

class Question
validates :id, uniqueness: true   ## see below
def self.import(file)
CSV.foreach(file.path, headers: true) do |row|    ## okay so you will iterate by row
question_hash = row.to_hash
                        ## This is okay, but you should put a watch on row, and understand its structure.  In doing so, you may not need to convert row to row.to_hash.  Otherwise, you should put a watch on row.to_hash to verify that the
                        ## structure of the 'row' is consistent with your database structure  and other matters that may be in your Question model
                        ##@question = Question.where(id: question_hash[“id”])
                        ## okay this seems reasonable  but at the model level rather than creating a new Question object, you should rather be doing validation on id, see above.
                        ##  If I were you I would do validation on the record, not just the id
    ## if @question.count == 1
    ##@question.first.update_attributes(question_hash)   ## self not new instance of Question
@return_value_on_update_attributes = self.update_attributes(question_hash)     ## Read: http://apidock.com/rails/ActiveRecord/Base/update_attributes
unless @return_value_on_update_attributes  ## unless @return_value_on_update_attributes is false, eg, if not true
    puts "There was an error in record " +     question_hash[“id”]
    puts self.errors.to_yaml      ## This way you can continue, and then later you need to check for errors.  Of course there are other ways to manage and learn errors.  But for now...
end  # end unless
end  # end foreach

end # end self.import(file)

Elizabeth McGurty

Aug 28, 2015, 10:39:33 AM8/28/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk, itspravee...@yahoo.com
Correction: obviously class Question  < ActiveRecord::Base