Re: [Rails] jquery function to prevent input from blank field with keypress of <enter>

Ariel Juodziukynas

Oct 15, 2019, 11:08:27 AM10/15/19
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Do you see any error on the browser's console? first thing I notice just simple looking at it is it's missing all the ; at the end of the lines, maybe you have a syntax error on the browser's dev tools

El mar., 15 oct. 2019 a las 11:35, fugee ohu (<fuge...@gmail.com>) escribió:

var submit_messages;

$(document).on('turbolinks:load', function () {
    submit_messages()
})

submit_messages = function () {
    $('#message_content').on('keyDown', function (event) {
        if (event.keyCode === 13) {
            $('input').click()
            event.target.value = ''
            event.preventDefault()
            console.log('yes we hit enter!')
        }

    })

}

I got this from a youtube video titled Rails 6 - Real Time Chat App What doesn't make sense to me is why do we only clear the field if the enter key is pressed, why doesn't that work anyway (it doesn't clear the field) and why doesn't it log to console 'yes we hit enter!'

fugee ohu

Oct 15, 2019, 12:05:13 PM10/15/19
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

On Tuesday, October 15, 2019 at 11:08:27 AM UTC-4, Ariel Juodziukynas wrote:
[...]

Sorry I just needed to  restart my browser After, I deleted my question because it works in firefox and chrome too Can you please delete
Message has been deleted