Suppressing ActionCable noise in development logs

Dave Tapley

Apr 10, 2017, 2:05:06 PM4/10/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
For reasons I will reveal at my Railsconf talk I am sending Data URIs through ActionCable.

These are rather large strings, which leads to a lot of noise in development, because ActionCable logs the entire message payload.

I have monkey patched around it, but I wanted to gauge whether this is something worth submitting a pull request against Rails for?
Does anyone know of any existing precedent for suppressing log output to avoid spamming it?

Thanks.

Walter Lee Davis

Apr 10, 2017, 5:21:59 PM4/10/17
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Have you tried simply adding that column to the filtered attributes? Passwords and such are already replaced with FILTERED in the logs, you could probably add these attributes and get the same effect.

Walter