Biometric Device Installation

ashutosh verma

May 31, 2012, 6:47:51 AM5/31/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I am using Project fedena for School Management software a ROR application. i want to attach  a biometric device for students & employee attendance , any one can suggest me how i can do it.

Walter Lee Davis

May 31, 2012, 9:18:15 AM5/31/12

On May 31, 2012, at 6:47 AM, ashutosh verma wrote:

> I am using Project fedena for School Management software a ROR application. i want to attach a biometric device for students & employee attendance , any one can suggest me how i can do it.

What sort of biometric device is this? I haven't worked with any of those, but I have worked with bar-code scanners, and the way they work is that they basically emulate a keyboard typing really quickly. You click or tab into the text field that the bar-code belongs in, and pull the trigger, and the code is inserted in the text field.

Maybe that's a starting point for you to investigate.

Walter

Colin Law

May 31, 2012, 9:42:38 AM5/31/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Assuming that you want the device connected to the client PC (rather
than the server) then you could have a problem accessing it from the
browser.

Colin

pe medeiros

May 31, 2012, 11:04:04 AM5/31/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Assuming that you want to use it within the browser, I'm afraid you have to create another program for that.
I've seen people create a Java Applet to access external devices from the browser. That I known it will work.

But assuming you just want to integrate biometrics data monitoring and visualization, I believe that the best way is to create a
diferent desktop/embedded application just to communicate with the server and register the data.

2012/5/31 Colin Law <cla...@googlemail.com>

Pedro Henrique de Souza Medeiros
----------------------------------
Cel: +55 (61) 9197-0993
Email: pedr...@gmail.com

Beautiful is better than ugly,
Explicit is better than implicit,
Simple is better than complex,
Complex is better than complicated.

The Zen of Python, by Tim Peters

Richard Campbell

Jun 4, 2012, 10:54:30 AM6/4/12
ashutosh verma wrote in post #1062681:
> I am using Project fedena <http://projectfedena.org/> for School
> Management
> software a ROR application. i want to attach a biometric device for
> students & employee attendance , any one can suggest me how i can do it.

You can use a keyboard wedge application called BioWedge with a Morpho
MSO300 scanner. This assumes you are running on Windows. The web site is
www.BioMetricSolution.com.

hanish jadala

Jun 5, 2012, 9:30:09 AM6/5/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
i have implemented biometric device to project fedena but i have used a small app which will collect the punch-in from device and will push to the server. Yes you can attach biometric device for student and employee attendance. but for students it will be bit risky because the count of students will be more.

Richard Campbell

Jun 5, 2012, 10:05:52 AM6/5/12
honey jadala wrote in post #1063142:
> i have implemented biometric device to project fedena but i have used a
> small app which will collect the punch-in from device and will push to
> the
> server. Yes you can attach biometric device for student and employee
> attendance. but for students it will be bit risky because the count of
> students will be more.

The maximum user count with the simplest solution is 20,000. There's a
cloud version that can handle much higher user counts.

ROHINI KAMBDE

Jun 5, 2012, 1:33:27 PM6/5/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
If possible could you please let me know how did  you implement this ..?i too want to integrate this feature into my app.

Richard Campbell

Jun 6, 2012, 8:10:50 AM6/6/12
rohini kambde wrote in post #1063187:
> If possible could you please let me know how did you implement this
> ..?i
> too want to integrate this feature into my app.

Rohini, Actually, since it is keyboard wedge you don't have to do any
integration, that's the best part. Install the software, plug in the usb
reader, enroll the people involved and then set it to "identification
mode". If you want to organize a group of readers to share a common
enrollment database you set up the various clients and then point them
to a share location where the database resides. These steps need to be
done on a Windows machine. If you want send me an email and I can assist
you further. Rich

ROHINI KAMBDE

Jun 6, 2012, 8:34:07 AM6/6/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
may i know what is that software to be installed..?

Richard Campbell

Jun 6, 2012, 10:31:21 AM6/6/12
rohini kambde wrote in post #1063329:
> may i know what is that software to be installed..?

it's called biowedge. it requires a morpho scanner to work and won't run
at all without a the morpho scanner. they sell the software and scanner
together. a couple minutes to install, fairly straightforward.

ROHINI KAMBDE

Jun 6, 2012, 1:29:58 PM6/6/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Thank you very much for your information..i will follow this procedure first , and if i still get any doubts i will contact you ..Thanks for your  support and help.

Richard Campbell

Jun 6, 2012, 1:36:58 PM6/6/12
rohini kambde wrote in post #1063383:
> Thank you very much for your information..i will follow this procedure
> first , and if i still get any doubts i will contact you ..Thanks for
> your
> support and help.

no problem.

ROHINI KAMBDE

Jun 7, 2012, 1:30:14 AM6/7/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
And do you have any idea about how to integrate crystal reports in   ruby on rails (2.3.8)

Mahananda R Naguri

May 26, 2016, 6:08:17 AM5/26/16
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
You mentioned in this forum that you have small app which will collect
the punch-in from device and will push to the server.

Could please let me know how to collect the punch-in to build that small
app?

Mahananda R Naguri

May 26, 2016, 6:11:30 AM5/26/16
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi honey jadala,

Actually I need implement the same using Java. If i get idea how to
collect punch-in from device, then rest i can build.

Nouman Mustafa

Sep 18, 2017, 2:20:18 PM9/18/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Did anyone here got success implementing this Biometric/RFID attendance plugin with fedena?please let me know