Need help upgrading to Rails 5

Johan Andersson

Dec 23, 2015, 9:55:59 AM12/23/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi,

I'm trying to upgrade to Rails 5. I've followed the official upgrade guide. When I visit any url, I only see the message:

We're sorry, but something went wrong
If you are the application owner check the logs for more information.

And the only thing I see in the logs is:

Started GET "/" for ::1 at 2015-12-23 14:57:38 +0100

It doesn't matter what url I visit, the same thing happens.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

ra...@prela.io

Dec 29, 2015, 3:47:17 AM12/29/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi Johan,

Depending on how you've configured your app, your app is probably suppressing detailed error messages through a config setting. Once you see what the exact error is, you can start to fix the actual cause.

Send me an email, I've got some time today and tomorrow and can potentially help you debug if you're still stuck. Firstname at prela.io

Best,
 - Raoul

Dan Cromer

Dec 30, 2015, 4:36:42 AM12/30/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I'm experiencing the same problem.  I'm not trying to upgrade an app, though, I'm only trying to play with a new rails app from the ground up, just to try out some of the new features.

Have you been able to figure out what the problem is?

Dan Cromer

Dec 30, 2015, 12:15:48 PM12/30/15
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I was able to fix this.  The problem was that I did not generate my new rails project using the Rails 5 generator.  Instead, when I did

rails _5.0.0.beta1_ new myapp

Everything worked

James Jelinek (shakycode)

Dec 30, 2015, 12:18:00 PM12/30/15
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Yeah you have to specify the version number prior to the “new” verb.  I think this is especially important when you have multiple versions of the Rails gem installed on your system.