Journey gem is not thread safe on Jruby

Samarjit Uppal

Sep 27, 2017, 3:12:34 AM9/27/17
to Ruby on Rails: Talk

Hi,

Environment: Jruby 1.7.25 on Jetty. Rails 3.2.11. We have been facing a random issue where some of the route objects stored in the Journey Gem get corrupted. After that, the corrupted routes/endpoints keep on throwing an empty string or nil for all of the future hits, and blows up our application. The only solution is to restart the server.

The thread unsafety of the Journey gem is a known issue, see these:

I have two questions:

Could the journey objects which are storing routes get garbage collected on the JVM? Thats the only way I see, why routes could get corrupted because in a live highly concurrent site regeneration of the Journey related objects will be prone to race conditions.

Has anyone similar experience in seeing the journey gem getting corrupted?

Thanks,
Samar