rubygems Problem on ubuntu 10.04

MaT 2.

Oct 30, 2011, 9:11:52 PM10/30/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
hello..

i have problem with rubygems version 1.8.7 on ubuntu 10.04 server LTS
64bit.this rubygems i also try both installation automatic using apt-get
package manager and using manually installation but the problem also
same.
the problem occur when i try to install any gems installation
package.i try many solution to solve the problem like remove and install
back rubygems.i also format computer then install back ruby and rubygems
but still cannot solve this problem.so i hope any rubygem expert can
help me solved this kind of problem.below are the following error that
appear after i execute gem install command.

sudo gem install any-package

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Zlib::DataError)
incorrect header check.

and my environment for gems

oneadmin@server:~$ gem env
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.8.10
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-linux]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /usr/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86_64-linux
- GEM PATHS:
- /usr/lib/ruby/gems/1.8
- /srv/cloud/one/.gem/ruby/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://rubygems.org/

Alex Mercer

Oct 31, 2011, 6:17:36 AM10/31/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Try to install dev lib for zlib:
$ sudo apt-get -y install zlib zlib-devel

MaT 2.

Nov 1, 2011, 12:15:06 AM11/1/11
Alex Mercer wrote in post #1029306:

> Try to install dev lib for zlib:
> $ sudo apt-get -y install zlib zlib-devel

thank for answer..

i already try this command but nothing is working..

below is addition information of my problem when i try to install rail
using --debug command.i hope any expert can help me to solve this
problem..
your help is very appreciated.thank you very much.

oneadmin@oneadmin:/var/lib/gems/1.8$ sudo gem install rails --debug
Exception `NameError' at
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb:161 - uninitialized
constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
Exception `Gem::LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could
not find RubyGem test-unit (>= 0)

Exception `Gem::LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could
not find RubyGem sources (> 0.0.1)

Exception `EOFError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:135 - end of
file reached
Exception `Zlib::DataError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:599 -
incorrect header check

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Zlib::DataError)
incorrect header check

/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:599:in `inflate'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:599:in `inflate'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:100:in `fetch_spec'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:72:in `fetch'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:71:in `map'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/spec_fetcher.rb:71:in `fetch'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:99:in
`find_gems_with_sources'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:192:in
`find_spec_by_name_and_version'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/dependency_installer.rb:213:in
`install'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:118:in
`execute'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:115:in
`each'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/commands/install_command.rb:115:in
`execute'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/command.rb:257:in `invoke'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb:132:in
`process_args'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb:102:in `run'
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/gem_runner.rb:58:in `run'
/usr/bin/gem:21

Leonardo Mateo

Nov 1, 2011, 5:52:24 AM11/1/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com

It looks like your rubygems source is corrupted.
Assuming you really need to use ubuntu packages, try purging the
package and re install it.

However, if you can use something like RVM[1] or rbenv[2] to install
and manage ruby.

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

[1]https://rvm.beginrescueend.com/rvm
[2]https://github.com/sstephenson/rbenv

--
Leonardo Mateo.
There's no place like ~

Max

Nov 1, 2011, 8:45:02 AM11/1/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
A really good resource for setting up ubuntu for rails/ruby is:
http://ryanbigg.com/2010/12/ubuntu-ruby-rvm-rails-and-you/

hope that helps.

MaT 2.

Nov 2, 2011, 2:20:27 AM11/2/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
thank for all response..
i already --purge and reinstall the rubygem and same problem occur.

actually i want to install all the following gem package:

json
*
rack
*
sinatra
*
thin

using rvm i successfull install json and rack but i cannot install
sinatra and thin.the same problem appear like this

Zlib:DataError incorrect header check.

Craig White

Nov 2, 2011, 8:09:02 AM11/2/11
On Wed, 2011-11-02 at 07:20 +0100, MaT 2. wrote:
> thank for all response..
> i already --purge and reinstall the rubygem and same problem occur.
>
> actually i want to install all the following gem package:
>

> json
> *
> rack
> *
> sinatra
> *
> thin
>
> using rvm i successfull install json and rack but i cannot install
> sinatra and thin.the same problem appear like this
>
> Zlib:DataError incorrect header check.
----
I think this is what you need...
apt-get install zlib1g-dev

but if that doesn't work, then try this...
apt-get install libzlcore-dev

Craig

believed to be clean.

MaT 2.

Nov 2, 2011, 10:09:37 PM11/2/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
thank Craig but it still not working..

Craig White

Nov 2, 2011, 10:19:16 PM11/2/11
On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 03:09 +0100, MaT 2. wrote:
> thank Craig but it still not working..
----
show us the full output of 'sudo gem install sinatra' and 'sudo gem
install thin'

MaT 2.

Nov 2, 2011, 11:13:25 PM11/2/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
all error output state as below:

oneadmin@oneadmin$ sudo gem install sinatra --debug

oneadmin@oneadmin$ sudo gem install thin --debug

Exception `NameError' at
/usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb:161 - uninitialize

d constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand

Exception `Gem::LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could
not find RubyGem
test-unit (>= 0)

Exception `Gem::LoadError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:827 - Could
not find RubyGem
sources (> 0.0.1)

Exception `EOFError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/net/protocol.rb:135 - end of
file reached
Exception `Zlib::DataError' at /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems.rb:599 -
incorrect header check

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Zlib::DataError)

this my new gem enviroment

RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.3.5

- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2010-01-10 patchlevel 249) [x86_64-linux]

- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /var/lib/gems/1.8
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /var/lib/gems/1.8/bin

- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86_64-linux
- GEM PATHS:

- /var/lib/gems/1.8

- /srv/cloud/one/.gem/ruby/1.8
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- REMOTE SOURCES:

- http://gems.rubyforge.org/

Craig White

Nov 2, 2011, 11:36:16 PM11/2/11
On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 04:13 +0100, MaT 2. wrote:
> all error output state as below:
>
> oneadmin@oneadmin$ sudo gem install sinatra --debug
>
> Exception `NameError' at
> /usr/lib/ruby/1.8/rubygems/command_manager.rb:161 - uniniti alized
> constant Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
----
try this...

sudo gem install rubygems -v="1.4.2"
sudo update_rubygems
sudo gem install sinatra

MaT 2.

Nov 3, 2011, 12:34:01 AM11/3/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
for the first command it can be execute correctly
after i change sudo gem install rubygems -v="1.4.2" to
sudo gem install rubygems -v 1.4.2 but for second command i got problem
to run. the error as below:

sudo update_rubygems
sudo: update_rubygems: command not found

and all other command display same error as before.

Craig White

Nov 3, 2011, 6:44:53 AM11/3/11
On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 05:34 +0100, MaT 2. wrote:
> for the first command it can be execute correctly
> after i change sudo gem install rubygems -v="1.4.2" to
> sudo gem install rubygems -v 1.4.2 but for second command i got problem
> to run. the error as below:
>
> sudo update_rubygems
> sudo: update_rubygems: command not found
>
> and all other command display same error as before.
----
If you installed rubygems it would seem impossible for the command
update_rubygems not to be found. Perhaps it is not installed.

Perhaps someone is familiar with Ubuntu's ruby packages and can guide
you with what it is that isn't working right. Generally, the
distribution packages lag too far behind and seem to be an obstruction
which is one of the reasons why things like rvm have become popular.

I suppose the way to install it would be...
sudo apt-get install rubygems

On my ubuntu 10.04 LTS (but not using any Ubuntu ruby packages
whatsoever because I use the enterprise ruby packages)

If rubygems package is installed, you should be able to easily run 'sudo
update rubygems'

Colin Law

Nov 3, 2011, 8:11:23 AM11/3/11
On 3 November 2011 10:44, Craig White <craig...@azapple.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 05:34 +0100, MaT 2. wrote:
>> for the first command it can be execute correctly
>> after i change sudo gem install rubygems -v="1.4.2" to
>> sudo gem install rubygems -v 1.4.2 but for second command i got problem
>> to run. the error as below:
>>
>> sudo update_rubygems
>> sudo: update_rubygems: command not found
>>
>> and all other command display same error as before.
> ----
> If you installed rubygems it would seem impossible for the command
> update_rubygems not to be found. Perhaps it is not installed.
>
> Perhaps someone is familiar with Ubuntu's ruby packages and can guide
> you with what it is that isn't working right. Generally, the
> distribution packages lag too far behind and seem to be an obstruction
> which is one of the reasons why things like rvm have become popular.

I strongly suggest that for rails on Ubuntu you use the method from
http://ryanbigg.com/2010/12/ubuntu-ruby-rvm-rails-and-you/
as an earlier poster already suggested. You are in for a great deal
of pain trying to do it using the ubuntu repositories.

Colin

> I suppose the way to install it would be...
> sudo apt-get install rubygems
>
> On my ubuntu 10.04 LTS (but not using any Ubuntu ruby packages
> whatsoever because I use the enterprise ruby packages)
>
> If rubygems package is installed, you should be able to easily run 'sudo
> update rubygems'
>
> Craig

> believed to be clean.

gplus.to/clanlaw

MaT 2.

Nov 3, 2011, 8:53:39 PM11/3/11
Craig White wrote in post #1029937:

> If you installed rubygems it would seem impossible for the command
> update_rubygems not to be found. Perhaps it is not installed.
>
> Perhaps someone is familiar with Ubuntu's ruby packages and can guide
> you with what it is that isn't working right. Generally, the
> distribution packages lag too far behind and seem to be an obstruction
> which is one of the reasons why things like rvm have become popular.
>
> I suppose the way to install it would be...
> sudo apt-get install rubygems
>
> On my ubuntu 10.04 LTS (but not using any Ubuntu ruby packages
> whatsoever because I use the enterprise ruby packages)
>
> If rubygems package is installed, you should be able to easily run 'sudo
> update rubygems'
>
> Craig

> believed to be clean.

i think i already install rubygem below is my command to verify that
rubygem is install in my system.i also try to use apt-get install
rubygem but the system show that my rubygem is already new version.below
all the output:-

root@oneadmin:~# apt-get install rubygems
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
rubygems is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 4 not upgraded.

root@oneadmin:~# dpkg --get-selections | grep rubygems
rubygems install
rubygems1.8 install

MaT 2.

Nov 3, 2011, 8:56:35 PM11/3/11
Colin Law wrote in post #1029951:

> On 3 November 2011 10:44, Craig White <craig...@azapple.com> wrote:
>> ----
>> If you installed rubygems it would seem impossible for the command
>> update_rubygems not to be found. Perhaps it is not installed.
>>
>> Perhaps someone is familiar with Ubuntu's ruby packages and can guide
>> you with what it is that isn't working right. Generally, the
>> distribution packages lag too far behind and seem to be an obstruction
>> which is one of the reasons why things like rvm have become popular.
>
> I strongly suggest that for rails on Ubuntu you use the method from
> http://ryanbigg.com/2010/12/ubuntu-ruby-rvm-rails-and-you/
> as an earlier poster already suggested. You are in for a great deal
> of pain trying to do it using the ubuntu repositories.
>
> Colin
>
>> Craig

> rubyonrails-ta...@googlegroups.com.

> gplus.to/clanlaw

thank Colin..
i already try this suggestion before but still not working and i cannot
install sinatra and thin using this method.

MaT 2.

Nov 4, 2011, 3:44:46 AM11/4/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Craig White wrote in post #1029886:

hi Craig.. i can execute sudo gem update_rubygems after i uninstall rack
from gem list but i still cannot install sinatra and thin.same error
appear..

MaT 2.

Nov 7, 2011, 9:11:21 PM11/7/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
i hope somebody can help me with this kind of problem..

mkristian

Nov 8, 2011, 4:02:28 AM11/8/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I use $HOME/.gemrc

install: --user-install --no-ri --no-rdoc --bindir /home/kristian/bin
update: --user-install --no-ri --no-rdoc --bindir /home/kristian/bin

which installs all gems in my user directory - no sudo needed. BUT
bundler does not obey this setting and ask for sudo password and
installs them into the system.

I think the easiest way to get rubygems and bundle working "locally"
is setting something like

export GEM_HOME=$HOME/.gems
export GEM_PATH=$HOME/.gems

then rubygems and bundler works fine together.

I just tried this on ubuntu 11.10 where I do have
$ gem envir
RubyGems Environment:
- RUBYGEMS VERSION: 1.7.2
- RUBY VERSION: 1.8.7 (2011-06-30 patchlevel 352) [x86_64-linux]
- INSTALLATION DIRECTORY: /home/kristian/.gems
- RUBY EXECUTABLE: /usr/bin/ruby1.8
- EXECUTABLE DIRECTORY: /home/kristian/.gems/bin
- RUBYGEMS PLATFORMS:
- ruby
- x86_64-linux
- GEM PATHS:
- /home/kristian/.gems
- GEM CONFIGURATION:
- :update_sources => true
- :verbose => true
- :benchmark => false
- :backtrace => false
- :bulk_threshold => 1000
- "maven" => {"profiles"=>"sonatype-snapshots",
"plugin_version"=>"0.28.6-SNAPSHOT"}
- "install" => "--user-install --no-ri --no-rdoc --bindir /home/
kristian/bin"
- "update" => "--user-install --no-ri --no-rdoc --bindir /home/
kristian/bin"
- REMOTE SOURCES:
- http://rubygems.org/

and there is no problem to install sinatra and thin. from that thread
I conclude you do not have the right version of rubygems installed try
to install the version from 11.10

- Kristian

Colin Law

Nov 8, 2011, 4:15:43 AM11/8/11
On 8 November 2011 02:11, MaT 2. <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> i hope somebody can help me with this kind of problem..

I can only suggest once that again that you start from the beginning
using rvm (if you have installed rubygems from the repository then
uninstall it and manually install an appropriate version) and when you
come to a problem come back and ask about that particular problem.
When I suggested previously that you did this you just said "i already

try this suggestion before but still not working and i cannot install

sinatra and thin using this method." which is not very specific.

This may not fix the problem but once you are using rvm you will be
better aligned with most people here (I believe) and will therefore be
more likely to find a solution.

Colin

mg1313

Nov 8, 2011, 9:19:58 PM11/8/11
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
I also produced an even more detailed Ruby on Rails installation
tutorial for Ubuntu 11.04, 11.10:
http://www.mirceagoia.com/2011/11/ruby-on-rails-installation-ubuntu-linux-mint/
It's 35 pages long and free to get it. Covers many situation which
Ryan Bigg didn't.

Mircea

On Nov 3, 2:11 pm, Colin Law <clan...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On 3 November 2011 10:44, Craig White <craigwh...@azapple.com> wrote:
>

> > On Thu, 2011-11-03 at 05:34 +0100, MaT 2. wrote:
> >> for the first command it can be execute correctly
> >> after i change sudo gem install rubygems -v="1.4.2" to
> >> sudo gem install rubygems -v 1.4.2 but for second command i got problem
> >> to run. the error as below:
>
> >> sudo update_rubygems
> >> sudo: update_rubygems: command not found
>
> >> and all other command display same error as before.
> > ----
> > If you installed rubygems it would seem impossible for the command
> > update_rubygems not to be found. Perhaps it is not installed.
>
> > Perhaps someone is familiar with Ubuntu's ruby packages and can guide
> > you with what it is that isn't working right. Generally, the
> > distribution packages lag too far behind and seem to be an obstruction
> > which is one of the reasons why things like rvm have become popular.
>
> I strongly suggest that for rails on Ubuntu you use the method fromhttp://ryanbigg.com/2010/12/ubuntu-ruby-rvm-rails-and-you/

MaT 2.

Nov 9, 2011, 8:28:06 PM11/9/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
thank Kristian,Colin and Mircea for your post.
i will try all the solution.

Mat

MaT 2.

Nov 9, 2011, 9:08:16 PM11/9/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
this is my output after trying to install rvm 1.9.2 on oneadmin home
user path(/srv/cloud/one).

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ rvm install 1.9.2
Installing Ruby from source to:
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290, this may take a while
depending on your cpu(s)...

ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #fetching
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #downloading ruby-1.9.2-p290, this may take a while
depending on your connection...
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 8604k 100 8604k 0 0 259k 0 0:00:33 0:00:33 --:--:--
567k
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #extracting ruby-1.9.2-p290 to
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/ruby-1. 9.2-p290
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #extracted to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.2-p290
Fetching yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/archives
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
100 460k 100 460k 0 0 105k 0 0:00:04 0:00:04 --:--:--
139k
Extracting yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src
Prepare yaml in /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
Configuring yaml in /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
Compiling yaml in /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
Installing yaml to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/usr
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #configuring
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #compiling
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #installing
Retrieving rubygems-1.8.10
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time
Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left
Speed
102 2661 102 2661 0 0 21438 0 --:--:-- --:--:-- --:--:--
21438
Extracting rubygems-1.8.10 ...
ERROR: Error running 'gunzip <
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/archives/rubygems-1.8.10.tgz | tar xf - -C
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src', please read /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/log/ruby
-1.9.2-p290/rubygems.extract.log
Removing old Rubygems files...
Installing rubygems-1.8.10 for ruby-1.9.2-p290 ...
ERROR: Error running
'GEM_PATH="/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290:/srv/cl
oud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@global:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p29
0:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@global"
GEM_HOME="/srv/cloud/one/.rvm /gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290"
"/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/ruby" "/s
rv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/rubygems-1.8.10/setup.rb"', please read
/srv/cloud/one/.rv m/log/ruby-1.9.2-p290/rubygems.install.log
WARN: Installation of rubygems did not complete successfully.
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - adjusting #shebangs for (gem irb erb ri rdoc testrb
rake).
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #importing default gemsets
(/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gemsets/)
Install of ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #complete

i just want your guy check this output.this output show that my rubygems
did not complete successfully but last line output show that ruby-1.9.2
is complete install.. so what should i do now..

Mat

MaT 2.

Nov 9, 2011, 9:12:14 PM11/9/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
this the ouput of rvm logfile.

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ cat
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.2-p290/rubygems.install.log

[2011-11-10 10:00:43]
GEM_PATH="/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@global:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@global"
GEM_HOME="/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290"
"/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/ruby"
"/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/rubygems-1.8.10/setup.rb"
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/ruby: No such file or
directory -- /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/rubygems-1.8.10/setup.rb
(LoadError)

MaT 2.

Nov 9, 2011, 9:17:20 PM11/9/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
this output for rvm extract.log

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ cat
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.2-p290/rubygems.extract.log

[2011-11-10 10:00:43] gunzip <

/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/archives/rubygems-1.8.10.tgz | tar xf - -C
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: This does not look like a tar archive
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

i hope someone can figure out something with all the output.

MaT 2.

Nov 9, 2011, 10:07:38 PM11/9/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
below is addition information

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ ruby -v
ruby 1.9.2p290 (2011-07-09 revision 32553) [x86_64-linux]

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ rvm rubygems latest
Retrieving rubygems-1.8.10
Extracting rubygems-1.8.10 ...
ERROR: Error running 'gunzip <

/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/archives/rubygems-1.8.10.tgz | tar xf - -C

/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src', please read
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.2-p290/rubygems.extract.log

Removing old Rubygems files...
Installing rubygems-1.8.10 for ruby-1.9.2-p290 ...
ERROR: Error running

'GEM_PATH="/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@global:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290:/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290@global"
GEM_HOME="/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290"
"/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/ruby"
"/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/rubygems-1.8.10/setup.rb"', please read
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/log/ruby-1.9.2-p290/rubygems.install.log

WARN: Installation of rubygems did not complete successfully.

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ pwd
/srv/cloud/one

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ ls -lah
total 80K
drwxr-xr-x 12 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-10 10:22 .
drwxr-xr-x 4 root root 4.0K 2011-11-03 09:03 ..
-rw------- 1 oneadmin cloud 6.3K 2011-11-03 17:45 .bash_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 oneadmin cloud 69 2011-11-10 09:54 .bashrc
drwxr-xr-x 2 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-03 09:27 bin
drwx------ 2 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-03 09:05 .cache
drwxr-xr-x 16 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-04 11:43 etc
drwxr-xr-x 3 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-10 09:39 .gem
drwxr-xr-x 2 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-03 09:27 include
drwxr-xr-x 8 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-03 09:27 lib
-rw------- 1 oneadmin cloud 59 2011-11-03 09:22 .mysql_history
-rw-r--r-- 1 oneadmin cloud 18 2011-11-03 09:31 .one_auth
drwxr-xr-x 24 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-10 09:58 .rvm
drwxr-xr-x 4 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-03 09:27 share
drwx------ 2 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-04 10:30 .ssh
-rw-r--r-- 1 oneadmin cloud 0 2011-11-03 09:10
.sudo_as_admin_successful
drwxr-xr-x 33 oneadmin cloud 4.0K 2011-11-10 11:02 var
-rw------- 1 oneadmin cloud 5.5K 2011-11-10 10:22 .viminfo
-rw------- 1 oneadmin cloud 162 2011-11-04 09:01 .Xauthority

MaT 2.

Nov 9, 2011, 10:45:25 PM11/9/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
i already find the solution to install rubygems to rvm.i download
rubygems manualy and extract to .rvm/src. then install rvm 1.9.2
again.the rubygems install successfull but when i test gem by trying to
install rails the same error display.i also try the zlib troubleshooting
on part8 provide by
http://www.mirceagoia.com/2011/11/ruby-on-rails-installation-ubuntu-linux-mint/
tutorial but it still not working.below is all the output.

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ rvm install 1.9.2
Installing Ruby from source to:
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290, this may take a while
depending on your cpu(s)...

ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #fetching
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #extracted to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/ruby-1.9.2-p290
(already extracted)
Fetching yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/archives

Extracting yaml-0.1.4.tar.gz to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src
Prepare yaml in /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
Configuring yaml in /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
Compiling yaml in /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/src/yaml-0.1.4.
Installing yaml to /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/usr
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #configuring
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #compiling
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #installing

Removing old Rubygems files...
Installing rubygems-1.8.10 for ruby-1.9.2-p290 ...

Installation of rubygems completed successfully.

ruby-1.9.2-p290 - adjusting #shebangs for (gem irb erb ri rdoc testrb
rake).
ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #importing default gemsets
(/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gemsets/)
Install of ruby-1.9.2-p290 - #complete

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ rvm use 1.9.2
Using /srv/cloud/one/.rvm/gems/ruby-1.9.2-p290

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ rvm --default use 1.9.2

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ gem install rails

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Zlib::DataError)
incorrect header check

oneadmin@oneadmin:~$ gem install rails --debug
Exception `NameError' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9
.1/rubygems/command_manager.rb:177 - uninitialized constant

Gem::Commands::InstallCommand
Exception `Gem::LoadError' at

/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_rub
y/1.9.1/rubygems/dependency.rb:247 - Could not find psych (>= 1.2.1, ~>
1.2) amongst []
Exception `Errno::EAGAIN' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net
/protocol.rb:135 - Resource temporarily unavailable - read would block
Exception `Errno::EAGAIN' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net
/protocol.rb:135 - Resource temporarily unavailable - read would block
Exception `Errno::EAGAIN' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net
/protocol.rb:135 - Resource temporarily unavailable - read would block
Exception `Errno::EAGAIN' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net
/protocol.rb:135 - Resource temporarily unavailable - read would block
Exception `EOFError' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net/prot

ocol.rb:135 - end of file reached

Exception `Errno::EAGAIN' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/1.9.1/net
/protocol.rb:135 - Resource temporarily unavailable - read would block
Exception `Zlib::DataError' at
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ru
by/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:563 - incorrect header check

ERROR: While executing gem ... (Zlib::DataError)
incorrect header check

/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:56
3:in `inflate'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems.rb:56
3:in `inflate'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/spec_
fetcher.rb:122:in `fetch_spec'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/spec_
fetcher.rb:95:in `block in fetch_with_errors'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/spec_
fetcher.rb:94:in `map'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/spec_
fetcher.rb:94:in `fetch_with_errors'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/depen
dency_installer.rb:110:in `find_gems_with_sources'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/depen
dency_installer.rb:228:in `find_spec_by_name_and_version'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/depen
dency_installer.rb:259:in `install'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/comma
nds/install_command.rb:121:in `block in execute'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/comma
nds/install_command.rb:115:in `each'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/comma
nds/install_command.rb:115:in `execute'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/comma
nd.rb:278:in `invoke'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/comma
nd_manager.rb:147:in `process_args'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/comma
nd_manager.rb:117:in `run'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.9.1/rubygems/gem_r
unner.rb:65:in `run'
/srv/cloud/one/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p290/bin/gem:25:in
`<main>'
oneadmin@oneadmin:~$

MaT 2.

Nov 11, 2011, 2:33:38 AM11/11/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
i really need help.. i hope someone can help me..

Damian M.

Nov 14, 2011, 5:45:03 PM11/14/11
MaT 2. wrote in post #1031374:

> i really need help.. i hope someone can help me..

I don't know if this effects you or not, but if you're behind OpenDNS
then you're likely having issues because of them. I had this issue
myself just today (which is how I stumbled on this forum post) and the
resolution for me was to add the following to my hosts file:

205.251.203.201 production.cf.rubygems.org

if you go to production.cf.rubygems.org in your web browser, and this is
your issue, you'll get an OpenDNS message which essentially claims
production.cf.rubygems.org distributes malware/viruses. Adding the hosts
file entry allowed me to bypass opendns entirely for the one site. This
is only a temporary fix, though. I've sent mail to the email address in
the OpenDNS error page for production.cf.rubygems.org and it would be a
good idea if anyone else affected by this did the same so that the root
cause can be taken care of.

MaT 2.

Nov 22, 2011, 9:09:01 PM11/22/11
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Damian M. wrote in post #1031895:

thank you very much Damian M.
but my problem is different,however
your reply really point me to the solution.

Bob B.

Jan 31, 2012, 9:57:59 PM1/31/12
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Awesome that DNS fix in etc/hosts worked for me

Finally ..
$ sudo gem install rails
Fetching: i18n-0.6.0.gem (100%)
Fetching: multi_json-1.0.4.gem (100%)
..

Many thanks Damian!!

Bob

wu volity

Oct 17, 2013, 7:37:00 AM10/17/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Excuse, how did you solve the question? I meet the same question today..

wu volity

Oct 26, 2013, 4:05:22 AM10/26/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I need your help,Please..What is the meanning of '205.251.203.201' in
'205.251.203.201 production.cf.rubygems.org'.

Colin Law

Oct 26, 2013, 4:51:19 AM10/26/13
On 26 October 2013 09:05, wu volity <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:
> I need your help,Please..What is the meanning of '205.251.203.201' in
> '205.251.203.201 production.cf.rubygems.org'.

It is an ip address. At one time it may have been (or may still be,
but I suspect not) a valid ip address for production.cf.rubygems.org.
But since the email you got this from is two years old it may no
longer be valid.

Perhaps if you explained what your actual problem is (preferably in a
new thread rather than an ancient one) someone may be able to help.

Colin

wu volity

Nov 7, 2013, 8:02:23 AM11/7/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Colin Law wrote in post #1125699:
Thanks!

Jordon Bedwell

Nov 7, 2013, 8:08:26 AM11/7/13
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I believe that's a production IP for CloudFront so it should in theory
be valid for RubyGems still but that line as it's printed in the
quotes look like a hosts file line, perhaps somebody trying to stick
the region?