Can't say "Hello World"

Сергей Чевычелов

Dec 24, 2016, 3:07:19 AM12/24/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Hi everyone!
I'm trying to step through Rails Guide and stuck at step 4.3. I've created my first controller and action, run the server and get the following error message.
Can someone help with this? And i also appreciate if you give me some source to learn Ruby on Rails. Thanks!

Auto Generated Inline Image 1

Hassan Schroeder

Dec 24, 2016, 1:34:16 PM12/24/16
to rubyonrails-talk
On Fri, Dec 23, 2016 at 2:30 PM, Сергей Чевычелов
<sergey...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm trying to step through Rails Guide and stuck at step 4.3. I've created my first controller and action, run the server and get the following error message.
> Can someone help with this?

It would help if you

1) provided a link to the "step 4.3" you referenced

2) copy and paste the error message so it can be run through
Google translate or equivalent

3) specify the versions of Ruby and Rails you're using

--
Hassan Schroeder ------------------------ hassan.s...@gmail.com
twitter: @hassan

Ad Rienks

Dec 25, 2016, 7:28:11 AM12/25/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Sergey,

You created a controller and action, but did you create a view? Without a view you can't see anything. I guess you see the Rails default screen.
Learn Rails through this free tutorial: https://www.railstutorial.org/book. The first few chapters lead you to create a "Hello World" example.

Colin Law

Dec 25, 2016, 8:04:24 AM12/25/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
On 25 December 2016 at 12:28, Ad Rienks <ad.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
Sergey,

You created a controller and action, but did you create a view? Without a view you can't see anything. I guess you see the Rails default screen.
Learn Rails through this free tutorial: https://www.railstutorial.org/book. The first few chapters lead you to create a "Hello World" example.

+1 for railstutorial.org (which is free to use online)

Colin

Scott Jacobsen

Dec 25, 2016, 11:32:52 AM12/25/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
My best guess since it is an execjs error is you don't have a javascript runtime installed. Be sure you have one of the execjs supported runtimes installed. https://github.com/sstephenson/execjs

Ad Rienks

Dec 26, 2016, 3:01:51 AM12/26/16
to Ruby on Rails: Talk
Which is your development environment? Operation System? The railstutorial.org comes with a link to Cloud 9 (c9.io) In the provided online environment (which is free for personal use) everything can be set up to run Rails, the way you need.

Ad