How to install Node.js?

Jaimin Pandya

Mar 19, 2014, 1:57:27 PM3/19/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
"node-v0.10.26".

But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?

Kind regards.

Scott Ribe

Mar 19, 2014, 2:00:07 PM3/19/14
On Mar 19, 2014, at 11:57 AM, Jaimin Pandya <li...@ruby-forum.com> wrote:

> I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
> "node-v0.10.26".
>
> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?

Perhaps look for a node.js mailing list???

--
Scott Ribe
scott...@elevated-dev.com

Leo Wong

Mar 19, 2014, 2:01:57 PM3/19/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Anyway, you can find the instructions here:

Walter Lee Davis

Mar 19, 2014, 2:40:16 PM3/19/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I've gotten bitten by the name, too. Look for a package called nodejs, not node.

Walter

Orlando Hernandez

Mar 19, 2014, 2:54:43 PM3/19/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:chris-lea/node.js
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nodejs
:)
Message has been deleted

mike2r

Mar 19, 2014, 3:19:38 PM3/19/14
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I would make sure you add chris-lea/node.js to your repository as Orlando has in his response.  The node.js they have in the standard repository is usually old (the same issue as rails).  You will also need a few other things installed such as python.  The link gnowoel provides above has it pretty well documented.

Phil Dobbin

Mar 20, 2014, 5:12:22 AM3/20/14
On 19/03/2014 17:57, Jaimin Pandya wrote:

> I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
> "node-v0.10.26".
>
> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?

cd into the directory where you downloaded node then untar it.

Now run './configure' (without the quotes), then 'make', then 'sudo make
install' which will install it into /usr/local.

You'll need to install 'build-essential' before you compile it:

'sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install build-essential'

Cheers,

Phil...

--
currently (ab)using
CentOS 6.5, Debian Squeeze & Wheezy, Fedora 19 & 20, OS X Snow Leopard,

Jaimin Pandya

Mar 20, 2014, 11:48:54 AM3/20/14
Phil Dobbin wrote in post #1140440:
> On 19/03/2014 17:57, Jaimin Pandya wrote:
>
>> I am completely new for node.js. By reading tutorials I downloaded
>> "node-v0.10.26".
>>
>> But I don't know how to install it on ubuntu12.04?
>
> cd into the directory where you downloaded node then untar it.
>
> Now run './configure' (without the quotes), then 'make', then 'sudo make
> install' which will install it into /usr/local.
>
> You'll need to install 'build-essential' before you compile it:
>
> 'sudo apt-get update
> sudo apt-get install build-essential'

I have done installation of node.js successfully.

Thank you very much