[Feature] Add whitelist for forgery_protection_origin_check

Joey Paris

Jan 22, 2020, 5:45:34 PM1/22/20
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Currently, the forgery_protection_origin_check is a boolean option that either only validates the origin is the same as the base_url or validates nothing at all. I like the idea of adding something like forgery_protection_origin_whitelist that contains an array of (regex) strings of approved origin domains. This whitelist check should only be tested if forgery_protection_origin_check is set to true, and it should probably always include the base_url.

I should be able to add this in myself, I just want to make sure there's enough community support for this addition before putting the time into it.

richard schneeman

Jan 22, 2020, 6:06:14 PM1/22/20
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
I think currently encouraged terminology is “acceptlist” and “denylist”.

One option to gauging interest is to release as a gem. If it gets traction then it makes a good case for making a first class feature, if not...you can still use it.

On Wed, Jan 22, 2020 at 4:45 PM Joey Paris <jo...@leadjig.com> wrote:
Currently, the forgery_protection_origin_check is a boolean option that either only validates the origin is the same as the base_url or validates nothing at all. I like the idea of adding something like forgery_protection_origin_whitelist that contains an array of (regex) strings of approved origin domains. This whitelist check should only be tested if forgery_protection_origin_check is set to true, and it should probably always include the base_url.

I should be able to add this in myself, I just want to make sure there's enough community support for this addition before putting the time into it.

Richard Schneeman
https://www.schneems.com

Joey Paris

Jan 22, 2020, 6:10:50 PM1/22/20
to Ruby on Rails: Core
I was wondering if "whitelist" was the best term for that, so that's good to know!

Making a gem does seem like a bigger undertaking than my current needs call for, that being said it's a great idea. Especially since I can continue to use it regardless of if it's actually accepted into the Rails repo (not to mention can work on my 5.2.3 environment).

Thanks for the feedback!