Proposal to run RuboCop using GitHub Actions

Yasuo Honda

Sep 22, 2019, 9:35:32 PM9/22/19
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Hi,

I'd like to propose run RuboCop at https://github.com/rails/rails using GitHub Actions.

As of right now, RuboCop is running using Code Climate. Here are some restrictions:

* Need to wait for newer channel like `channel: rubocop-0-74` available at Code Climate

* `rubocop-0-74` locks RuboCop Performance and RuboCop Rails versions to somewhat lower versions

* Code Climate runs for pull requests but not for direct push push

With GitHub Actions I think we can unlock these restrictions:

* Just updating Gemfile and Gemfile.lock to decide which RuboCop, RuboCop Performance and RuboCop Rails versions to run

* Runs for both direct push and pull requests

I have enabled GitHub Actions to run RuboCop for Oracle enhanced adapter https://github.com/rsim/oracle-enhanced/pull/1925
 and it has been working fine. Also, I have opened a PoC pull request to my forked repository https://github.com/yahonda/rails/pull/2 , which looks good to me.

Let me know your thoughts for my proposal.

Yasuo Honda

Kasper Hansen

Sep 28, 2019, 3:07:00 PM9/28/19
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hey Yasuo,

I’m fine with it. But I’d leave final call to Eileen who has an open PR to use GitHub actions in general.

--
Kasper

Yasuo Honda

Oct 28, 2019, 8:20:17 PM10/28/19
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kasper,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the late reply.

I have opened a pull request https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/37582
to let GitHub Actions run RuboCop
because RuboCop 0.76.0 has been just released.

Would like to get some more feedback there.

Yasuo Honda