Rails 5 bump

Lutz Lengemann

Feb 7, 2020, 4:13:29 AM2/7/20
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Hi rails team,

will there be a rails 5.2.4.1 upgrade anytime soon?
There is one fix in this comparison, which we would like to have in 5.2 as upgrade to 6 takes a bit longer :(

It would be cool to know a timeline for this.

Thanks
Lutz

Prem Sichanugrist

Feb 7, 2020, 4:17:22 AM2/7/20
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lutz,

Based on the maintenance policy (https://guides.rubyonrails.org/maintenance_policy.html) there probably won't be another 5.2.x which contains those bug fixes.

I suggest you to point your Gemfile to 5-2-stable instead while you're working on upgrading to 6.0.

Thank you,
Prem

Lutz Lengemann

Feb 7, 2020, 6:42:06 AM2/7/20
to Ruby on Rails: Core
Hi Prem,

thank you very much for your reply.

Is this an official statement or more an interpretation of the MaintenancePolicy.

I am askign, because I would see it a bit differently.
With rails 5.2.4.1, there was a HotFix change, which lead to certain tests for the rails framework to be broken. I mean Specifically this change:
https://github.com/rails/rails/compare/v5.2.4...v5.2.4.1

And there is a followup change to fix the ActionController::TestSession as this behaves differently in 5.2.4.1 now.
https://github.com/rails/rails/commit/13a07268160c1093d4b0ff40e45e487d635fa6b9

In `5-2-stable` there is a fix for this included, and I really question, why this does not warrant a new `5.2.x` version.

I would love to hear more opinions here.

Thanks
Lutz