ActiveJob and :exponentially_longer

Anthony Ross

Feb 2, 2018, 12:04:30 PM2/2/18
to Ruby on Rails: Core
We're seeing issues using :exponentially_longer where failures in downstream systems are causing a thundering herd effect.  A great many jobs fail, they all get enqueued to try again in a static interval and bring down the downstream system yet again.  This repeats until the retry limit is exhausted.

We've gotten around this using a custom `wait` block but since exponential backoff with randomness is builtin to some adapters, like Sidekiq , I'm propsing to have it baked into to :exponentially_longer.

Anthony Ross

Nov 22, 2019, 6:33:25 PM11/22/19
to Ruby on Rails: Core

Hello - Is anyone available to review this PR?  I believe I've addressed all feedback.  Thank you!  https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/31872

Anthony

Tom Rossi

Nov 22, 2019, 7:46:10 PM11/22/19
to rubyonra...@googlegroups.com
+1 I had a similar issue and would welcome it...

Sent from mobile

Santiago Bartesaghi

Nov 28, 2019, 1:08:06 PM11/28/19
to Ruby on Rails: Core