Indoor No-Wind Forward Launch

Jim Black

Nov 27, 2022, 12:48:06 PM11/27/22
to Rochester Area Flyers, James Black
Frustrated by outside conditions I took to my college fieldhouse. More of a stunt than practical training!.

I've discovered that once I focused on pistoning my feet (like a football drill) the quality of my forwards improved. Now I just need to remember to visually scan my glider before committing:)

-Jim

Katrin Parsiegla

Nov 27, 2022, 1:38:09 PM11/27/22
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Nice!

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***
http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

***Bristol Mtn Weather & Webcam***
- https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KNYNAPLE32
- https://www.bristolmountain.com/webcam/

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
To post to this group, send email to:
rochester...@googlegroups.com
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to:
rochesterareafl...@googlegroups.com
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/CALQqo91sZ8PtTpgRPcF_wR9NgbBCVV7a80nkzAc2ThpMZCiiUg%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Slebodnik

Nov 27, 2022, 2:01:02 PM11/27/22
to Rochester Area Flyers
Jim,
The link is not working.

Jim Black

Nov 27, 2022, 3:07:08 PM11/27/22
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
I'm not sure what the issue is... it's working for Katrin. Try it on another device or browser and let me know.

Jim

--
Dr. Jim Black
He/Him/His

Romano Almonte

Nov 27, 2022, 3:18:53 PM11/27/22
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
careful kiting PGs with those basketball courts... I spent an hour disentangling my glider from one of those basketball hoops with a ladder earlier this summer...

romano

2 points for landing your wing in the basketball goal! It's hard to see but for me one of the most important parts of the forward happens during the timelapse phase of the video. That's the centering, once you are facing forward and right before you launch. The way I do it is to walk with my arms outstreched until there is just a little tension in the lines. If one side gets tighter before the others, I move myself left or right a little towards that side. If the center a-lines are pointed into the wind (none in this case), I'm in the middle, and running in the way those a-lines are pointed, the wing is always going to come up straight. But I do always scan left and right for a moment to see if it indeed came up straight, because sometimes I have misjudged the wind, or the puff that I used to initially spread the wing wasn't in the same direction as the wind at launch time. When I was new at P2 school I already had 100 or so forward launches from paramotoring, and the PG instructor said it was important to always look in the direction you are going while launching. I told him it was more important to scan the wingtip during inflation, then once the wing was overhead I'd look in the direction I wanted to go. Oddly, almost none of students were any good at forwards?

Robert Skinner