Towing Report: Padgham 11-6-21

Jim Black

Nov 10, 2021, 10:25:32 PM11/10/21
to Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers, jblack8
Great day for flying! Pilot's mostly shared the Club Falcon 170.

Rob and Moritz got their Tow Tech videos done. We now need yearly updated video of our towing skills. Both had great flights. *See Moritz below on tow and Rob on the winch.
Brent - continued to progress with high tows and patterns and responding to a weak link break. I forgot that he is a new pilot this year and at first didn't believe it. This was about his 6th day on tow,
Mark - Is a growing convert to adding towing to his training. This was his 2nd day of towing and he progressed and nailed it. * See his tow below with Jim on the winch.
Jim - focused on the towing operations which he loves almost as much as flying.
Ron Letzen - was a support for all. Retrieving the line, shooting video, launching pilots and ready to fix anything that needed it. Ron keeps our Golf Cart running and added a rear seat for 3!

We were reminded of how much easier it is to tow into a nice wind (ended up a smooth 6-8 mph) as you can see our pilots walking into the air. We started setting up at 10:30 and were done putting away everything by 3:30 pm. Everyone had 3-5 tows!

Moritz on Tow and Rob on the Winch

Mark on Tow and Jim on the winch

Our Golf Cart in the Shop being Pimpted.

Jim
Fly High Fly Safe Hook In

On Sat, Nov 6, 2021 at 7:45 AM Jim Black <jbl...@naz.edu> wrote:
Looking good for tomorrow! Let me know if you are coming.

10 am start time.

See you!
Jim

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 4:44 PM Jim Black <jbl...@naz.edu> wrote:
I'm looking at getting the scooter winch out this Sunday!

Conditions look fairly warm (50s) wind is light/not gusty, and little chance of rain.

Rated pilots (H2 +) are welcome to continue. Work on your towing skills and your approach patterns/landings!

Advanced PG pilots are welcome by individual arrangements.

This might be the last opportunity to refresh your Tow Tech skills to qualify for operating the winch next year (for those that already have this appointment)

Email me/Call if you want to talk.
Jim Black

--
Dr. Jim Black
He/Him/His

--
Dr. Jim Black
He/Him/His
Director of Graduate Adolescence Inclusive Teacher Education Programs
Nazareth College
4245 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14618-3790

Robert Skinner

Nov 11, 2021, 12:45:18 PM11/11/21
to Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Jim, that's some great video ...
Is the golf cart mod so that we can carry gliders too ?

Rob

David Oddy

Nov 11, 2021, 1:11:05 PM11/11/21
to Jim Black, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Nice!!!  I'd be down to try that on my next visit!

Jim Black

Nov 11, 2021, 1:34:15 PM11/11/21
to Robert Skinner, Rochester Area Flyers, Upstate NY Free Flyers
Great idea. We have discussed that... at one point the roof started to collapse and Ron L reinforced it. I will touch base with Ron L about adding an actual rack.

Once again a shout out for Ron Letzen and his skills and club work. He does work/fabrication/ design for our club that we could never afford (and that no company would ever even agree to do!

Jim

chris toomey

Nov 11, 2021, 1:45:04 PM11/11/21
to rochester...@googlegroups.com, Robert Skinner, Upstate NY Free Flyers
I’ll second that!  Ron has been very generous with his time and expertise!  Thanks, Ron

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 11, 2021, at 1:34 PM, Jim Black <jbl...@naz.edu> wrote:

--
***Be sure to check the Group Calendar often!***

http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?src=rochesterareaflyers%40gmail.com&ctz=America/New_York

You received this because you are subscribed to "RochesterAreaFlyers"
For more options, visit this group at:
http://groups.google.com/group/rochesterareaflyers?hl=en
---
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RochesterAreaFlyers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rochesterareaflyers/CALQqo900Ypq2Av7xDUWi3MabR_Qn35f49kR-hjpAwE%3DW2ZKzYw%40mail.gmail.com.

Robert Slebodnik

Nov 11, 2021, 1:53:45 PM11/11/21
to Rochester Area Flyers

Glauber, Leo

Nov 11, 2021, 2:12:24 PM11/11/21
to rochester...@googlegroups.com

Ya – Thanks Ron!

-Leo

This e-mail, attachments included, is confidential. It is intended solely for the addressees. If you are not an intended recipient, any use, copy or diffusion, even partial of this message is prohibited. Please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Since the integrity of this message cannot be guaranteed on the Internet, SODEXO cannot therefore be considered liable for its content.

Ce message, pieces jointes incluses, est confidentiel. Il est etabli a l'attention exclusive de ses destinataires. Si vous n'etes pas un destinataire, toute utilisation, copie ou diffusion, meme partielle de ce message est interdite. Merci de le detruire et d'en avertir immediatement l'expediteur. L'integrite de ce message ne pouvant etre garantie sur Internet, SODEXO ne peut etre tenu responsable de son contenu.

Moritz Wagner

Nov 11, 2021, 2:25:46 PM11/11/21
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Jim,
Just wanted to quickly say that I already reinforced the roof and I put wood pieces on each roof support so that two gliders can be carried by the golf cart. That’s already done.
Cheers,
Moritz

Moritz Wagner

Nov 11, 2021, 2:44:08 PM11/11/21
to rochester...@googlegroups.com
Here is a picture. The little pieces of wood are not deer antlers in preparation for Christmas. They are supposed to prevent the two gliders ( one on each side) from falling off the roof. This worked quite well during the training program. I set the limit of two people in the golf cart and two gliders on the roof. Max speed walking speed.
Cheers, Moritz

Moritz Wagner

Nov 11, 2021, 2:46:43 PM11/11/21
to rochester...@googlegroups.com

Katrin Parsiegla

Nov 11, 2021, 7:22:06 PM11/11/21
to Rochester Area Flyers
Rick mentioned at the October meeting that Rick Padgham complained about the golf cart and does not want the golf cart being used on the field. He only allows a foot path over the field. Rick B. has the details.

Ron Wolff

Nov 11, 2021, 7:42:04 PM11/11/21
to Marty Hughes
Well we can think of it as training for the Stud Hill hike...:)

Rick Brown

Nov 11, 2021, 10:11:49 PM11/11/21
to RAF
  Katrin is correct. The problem was even tho we stopped using the golf cart early enough that we didn't damage a lot of beans, the folks with 4 wheelers saw the two tracks we created and continued using the trail to cut across the field and flattened the beans in between the tracks with their frames and bumpers as they got taller. I blocked it off with the lawn chairs but it was too late by then.
  So the moral of the story is we can drive the cart across as long as the crops have not been planted but after that it has to go down the laneway and around the back of the field. Or carry them across like the old days.