02 Sprint ST 24k service

sfr4201

May 30, 2020, 4:25:17 PM5/30/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com

Now that l have your attension,my question is:

Do you use gasket adhesive to a rubber valve cover gasket,or install dry,thanks in advance?

                             E-Steve

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device
20200530_135238_resized.jpg

Dave Tucker

May 30, 2020, 6:34:55 PM5/30/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
I like to use a thin film of Gasgacinch on the inside to hold it to the cover, if needed. The side that mounts to the head should be dry.

"No Signature Needed at This Time"

sfr4201

May 30, 2020, 8:00:42 PM5/30/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Just made that discovery Dave,along with a mouse nest in the air filter....!

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

sfr4201

May 30, 2020, 8:01:57 PM5/30/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
This does not look right?

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

May 30, 2020, 8:11:37 PM5/30/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Looks like a just fine nest.

Check wires for chew marks.

Jim

Jim Baker

May 30, 2020, 8:27:10 PM5/30/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Always important to bring snacks.

sfr4201

May 30, 2020, 9:24:48 PM5/30/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Fortunately,Jim & Jim,damage so far is confined to the neighborhood of cylinder #1.Valve cover bolt is a differant color to the other 5,and the plug from pot #1 looks a little differant to the other two.

When l re-purchased the bike a year ago,l was aware of a rodent that smacked on the tool pouch and relieved itself on the owners manual.No idea how a Triumph tool pouch affects a mouse's digestive tract!Left the manual out in the sun for 2 days to cook out the urine!

                                 E-Steve

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

20200530_161326.jpg

David

Jun 2, 2020, 12:51:46 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
By what route do you suppose the little bastard took to get to the inside of your air filter? I thought that was a tightly sealed environment in order to keep dirt and excrement outside the engine. Makes no sense to me.

Sent from my iPhone

Norman Wright

Jun 2, 2020, 1:11:16 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
The little varmints come in through the air vent.  I've seen a number of these on the forums.  In last months BMW magazine there was a story from Colorado Springs about a snake nest in his bike.

Steve Smith

Jun 2, 2020, 2:07:40 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
If you have animals nesting in your motorcycle it just means that you haven’t been riding enough. I found one on my Speed Triple many years ago. I took the blame for that one, and it hasn’t happened since.

BTW, they seem to prefer European bikes because they use biodegradable materials in their wiring. Rodents love the stuff. The airport had lots of complaints from long term parking BMWs, Audi’s, and MBs having rabbits eating up wiring looms.

--
Steve

David

Jun 2, 2020, 2:29:15 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
A lot of wire insulation is now a soy-based product, for the last 10 - 15 years. Perhaps the critters find it tastier than the old petroleum-based insulation. Mmmm, that’s some good insulation on that Audi !

Sent from my iPhone

Norman Wright

Jun 2, 2020, 3:13:33 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
I guess then, even rodents are smarter than Harley owners?

sfr4201

Jun 2, 2020, 4:14:22 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Route of travel,l guessing,is the top of the airbox via one of two skinny snorkels on top of airbox,so the little bastard must have been very limber!Materials used for the mouse Temperpedic mattress looked very cozy,a material that l do not recognize.

Aware a mouse paid a visit under the seat and snacked on the tool pouch during its brief stay in Northern New York (gawd,must be really cold in the Winter ).Unlikely if said mouse was a stow away on the trip back to Colorado!

Snake nest on/in a bike,yikes!!!Steve,regarding your DIA exploits,heard tons of stories on rodents snacking on electrical wiring.A friend of mine traveled a lot out of state for work.A combinationbn of rodent damage and a hail storm totaled her little Suzuki suv.

Agree with the closing statement,need to get out and ride more.Work,noticeably during the "stay at home" period,has been brutal,having a skeleton crew does not help things!Montrose can not come soon enough............

Jim Kerick

Jun 2, 2020, 5:26:50 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Back in NC a buddy went to ride to work and found a copperhead snake coiled around the handlebars and triple tree on his Ducati Monster.

He took a remediation path that is different than what I would have done.
He used a rake and shovel to get it off the bike and then beat it to death.

I would have lit the bike on fire, even the house since it was inside. I am not a fan of snakes, and copperheads are deadly.
The worst would have been a water moccasin, they mean and viscously attack everything.

Jim

Jim Baker

Jun 2, 2020, 5:53:06 PM6/2/20
to rm...@googlegroups.com

bobvforward3

Jun 3, 2020, 11:17:10 AM6/3/20
to RMRAT
When I first bought my Sprint I found a similar little nest in my airbox, they must REALLY like Sprints.

It was a 99 with only 3,800 miles on it in late 2015 when I bought it, so it had REALLY not been ridden often enough.

Just ticked over 33,000 yesterday and last checked a few months ago nest free and running like a champ.