Transferring a vehicle title?

Chris Peltz

Sep 15, 2021, 6:53:57 PM9/15/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com

My Mom lives in Michigan and has a title to a vehicle in her name. She is gifting the car to me and I need to get the title transferred to me. Since it is out of state...does anyone know what has to be done in the other state (Michigan) and what would have to be done in Colorado to get the title transferred?

Steve Smith

Sep 15, 2021, 8:32:56 PM9/15/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Don’t know anything about the MI end of things. CO will want a notarized bill of sale with the title and the State Patrol has to verify the VIN. Unless the vehicle is from Canada it’s not too difficult.

On Wed, Sep 15, 2021 at 16:53 Chris Peltz <peltz...@gmail.com> wrote:

My Mom lives in Michigan and has a title to a vehicle in her name. She is gifting the car to me and I need to get the title transferred to me. Since it is out of state...does anyone know what has to be done in the other state (Michigan) and what would have to be done in Colorado to get the title transferred?

Steve

Chris Peltz

Sep 15, 2021, 8:39:48 PM9/15/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com

Robert Wendl

Sep 15, 2021, 8:53:42 PM9/15/21
to Rocky Rountain Rat
Chris,

This year when I registered my Scrambler, which I purchase from out of state, the Douglas county DMV provided me a link to a document on their web-site which contained everything I needed. Below you will find the link. Also, the Douglas county sheriff did the VIN verification. They have done two verifications for me and they came to my house to do it. You may want to look on the county you live in DMV web-site to see if they have something like this.

Bob Wendl

Chris Peltz

Sep 15, 2021, 9:00:35 PM9/15/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Excellent. I will check if Weld has something similar.

Martin Richard

Sep 15, 2021, 9:10:52 PM9/15/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Unless the law has changed since the last time I registered an out-of-state vehicle, I don't think you need a bill of sale if you have the title.  Title signed over to you + VIN verification + emissions test (if applicable) should be all you need.  Check with the County Clerk's office to be sure.  Also VIN verifications can be done by any certified law enforcement officer in CO and can also be done by any motor vehicle dealer.

sfr4201

Sep 15, 2021, 11:05:41 PM9/15/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Envirotest (emissions place) does vin verifications as well.Also check Weld County DMV

                    E-Steve

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Vince M Lane

Sep 15, 2021, 11:53:57 PM9/15/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Chris, 1 question is what are you going to do with the car?  Are you going to license and drive it, sell it or just keep it?  I think a bill of sale is a good idea even if you don't have to actually show it.  Notorized is better if you can do it.  I would include the year, make, model and color of the car and certainly the VIN number.  Mom can sell it to you for $1.00 "and other valuable consideration".  You have to put the purchase price  on the title in CO when you sell a car and Michigan is most likely the same.  A good bill of sale might make the DMV lady or the sherrif who does the vin inspection a little less inquisitive.  Envirotest does due VIN inspections but charges $25.00.  I don't know if Weld is an emission test required county but if your going to sell the car a "passed emmisions" certificate in hand is great for a Craigslist add. The passed test is good for 6 months.

Because the car is a gift I don't know how DMV handles the sales tax part if your going to license and drive it.  They may charge you a use fee based on FMV or Kelly Blue Book.  My guess is you don't get to drive it for free.

Sep 16, 2021, 12:21:28 AM9/16/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Great info. Having a notarized bill of sale makes sense. As it's a convertible, I plan to drive it. I will need to get the emissions test done.

Jim Baker

Sep 16, 2021, 12:37:55 AM9/16/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
I doin't think it has to be the state patrol, either.  When we moved I had mine done at the Toyota dealership.

Norman Wright

Sep 16, 2021, 11:24:23 AM9/16/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
I don't think you need to do anything in Michigan.  Your mother needs to sign over the MI title to you.  The key is she needs to ask MI DMV whether that signature must be notarized.  She needs to write a letter to you recognizing the gift.

You take both the signed title and the letter to your County DMV.  Since the vehicle is coming from out of state and not through a licensed dealer, the DMV will need to see the vehicle and confirm the VIN.  You will owe no CO sales tax but you will pay a property tax as well as the other fees.  CO DMV then informs MI behind the scenes of the transfer.