Dirt riding gear? What do I need?

Martin Richard

Oct 28, 2021, 1:43:11 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
RATS:  I'm recovering nicely from my knee surgery and keep scanning FB Marketplace and CL looking for a nice 250 - 400cc dual sport for my next bike.  If anybody here knows of one for sale, please send me a link or a contact number.

Currently I'm thinking Suzuki DRZ-400 (based on the theory of "wisdom of the crowd"), Yamaha WR250R (thanks Curtis!), Kawasaki KLX400 or 250, or Honda CRF230L (though these seem hard to find.)  Budget would be $3k - $4k.

I'm also wondering what gear I need?  I know most dirt riders use a different style of helmet, and I often see people riding with exterior armor.  If anybody has any extra gear they want to sell I don't mind buying used (except the helmet, that I would buy new, even though my wallet is still smoking from the Shoei Neotec I got a couple weeks ago (pretty sure I spent more on that helmet than I did on the last 3 helmets I bought put together.)

Thanks in advance!

Martin

Norman Wright

Oct 28, 2021, 2:17:31 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Let it Ride on Colfax has a lot of dirt oriented gear.

Norman Wright

Oct 28, 2021, 2:19:31 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Tfog has a lot of dirt bikes in his facility.  You might call and see if they are rehabbed for sale.  Seems like alot more than customers repair bikes.

On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 12:43 PM Martin Richard <martina...@gmail.com> wrote:

Steve Smith

Oct 28, 2021, 2:26:20 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Tfog? Does that stand for “The friggin’ old guy?”

--
Steve

Curtis Graves

Oct 28, 2021, 2:28:13 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
“Two Fat Old Guys”

And yes, that’s really what it stands for.

Sean Donnelly

Oct 28, 2021, 2:28:53 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Performance Cycle should be having their Dirt Gear sale soon shouldn't they?  I seem to recall it always being around Halloween. I can't recall if it is right before or right after.

Norman Wright

Oct 28, 2021, 2:34:05 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Two Fat Old Guys actually and they are a great repair source for all makes but especially BMW, Triumph & Honda

Steve Smith

Oct 28, 2021, 2:59:31 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
So I was close. Old guys. Rule. Sometimes.

--
Steve

JEFF WALTERS

Oct 28, 2021, 3:33:17 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com

I have heard that the Yamaha WR250R is awesome. Friend of mine said he had experience with them and that they were hard to beat.

Thanks

Sent from Mail for Windows

sfr4201

Oct 28, 2021, 10:01:26 PM10/28/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Martin

Happy that things are going well.What size boots do you ware?Think l still have a pair when l ised to go dirtbiking

               E-Steve

Sent from my T-Mobile 4G LTE Device

Jim Baker

Oct 29, 2021, 8:51:40 AM10/29/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Martin, I'm going to turn in my BMW 800 this winter for a Yamaha XT250.  Check them out; I think it's a great barely-street-legal compromise with a subframe that can still carry gear.  Wet weight 290 pounds.

Norman Wright

Oct 29, 2021, 9:46:30 AM10/29/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
TriCity Cycles in Loveland has a 2012 XT 250 for sale.

Martin Richard

Oct 29, 2021, 3:15:51 PM10/29/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Steve.  I'm 10.5 - 11 (US size) depending on the specific boot.

sfr4201

Oct 29, 2021, 5:10:34 PM10/29/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
I will check and let you know

Martin Richard

Nov 8, 2021, 1:29:14 PM11/8/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Steve, were you able to find out the size of those boots?

sfr4201

Nov 8, 2021, 6:45:53 PM11/8/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Martin

Have not had a chance to look yet,busy with work and being sick (thanks covid booster shot!!!!).l believe that these are 10.5-11,let me find them first.Let you know by weeks end

sfr4201

Nov 10, 2021, 6:18:49 PM11/10/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Martin

I am assuming this is the style on off-road boot you are looking for,size 11,Alpine Stars.Yes,they look a little scuffed up,but everything is present,nothing cracked/broken,soles are in good condition.

No longer own a dirt bike or atv,therefore taking up space.Let me know what you think
20211108_165510_resized.jpg
20211110_161233_resized.jpg

Martin Richard

Nov 11, 2021, 6:34:14 PM11/11/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Steve.  I think those would work fine.  What do you want for them?

Martin

sfr4201

Nov 11, 2021, 9:47:10 PM11/11/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Martin

Seeing as those boots are 15-20 years old,l am expecting very little.lf you still insist,will be happy to trade for Coalmine Ave. Brewing merchandice.Before going into all that,be happy to meet at the Baca's watering hole Saturday afternoon.Try the boots on first,also suggest you bring a pair of "socks" that you intend to use with the boots,comfort most important here,let me know if this works into your schedule.Cheers

Martin Richard

Nov 12, 2021, 12:02:28 PM11/12/21
to rm...@googlegroups.com
Steve:  That sounds like a plan.  What time is good for you?  We may or may not have grandchildren that day but seeing as how it's only a mile away, it won't be hard for me to break away from what I'm doing to go over there and meet you.

Martin