Wireless Microphone Analyzer

Bernd Konnerth

Jan 29, 2019, 5:18:13 PM1/29/19
to RF Explorer
For all of you who are dealing with wireless microphones ( like me ;-) ), I've created a little tool which scans the frequencies of a certain (vendor specific) frequency range in a "peek hold" manner. You can also overlay the live graph with intermodulation free channel presets, recommended by the vendors. It also shows no-go frequency ranges like LTE bands which unfortunately (at least here in Germany) meanwhile overlap with the old wireless microphone frequency bands.

Currently the tool is only available for Windows, but if there is some demand, I could create a Mac or even a Linux app as well. You simply have to download the self installing executable from here:

After starting the tool most things should be self explaining. But there is also a help menu which explains the keyboard shortcuts.

REMARK: Currently "forbidden" frequency ranges like LTE are only supported for Germany and are not complete yet.

Just let me know your opinion. I'll try to extend the tool step by step. And of course your welcome create pull requests on GitHub. :-)

Regards,
Bernd
Message has been deleted

Script Warlock

Jan 31, 2019, 4:51:25 AM1/31/19
to RF Explorer
the most useful tool for me as a sound engineer. than you for sharing. can  i ask to add linux to your todo list since currently i'm using ubuntu.

Bernd Konnerth

Jan 31, 2019, 6:18:19 AM1/31/19
to RF Explorer
Yes sure, I can give it a try on Linux. Shouldn't be too complicated, because I'm using the "Electron" framework for the app which works on Linux and Mac as well. But you never know. ;-)

Diogo Nunes Pereira

Jan 31, 2019, 9:47:19 AM1/31/19
to RF Explorer
Hi Bernd,

really cool project. I work in audio/RF in Spain and this is also a cool tool for some RF seminars I teach.

I'll keep following your work in github and hopefully contributing. I have little idea in programming but if there's work I can do will surely participate.

Cheers,

Diogo

Bernd Konnerth

Jan 31, 2019, 11:31:15 AM1/31/19
to RF Explorer
Hi Diogo,

nice to hear that the tool is useful for you! :-) I think most of the work in future will be to collect forbidden frequency ranges for as many countries as possible so that the tool can also be used worldwide. I would guess that at least the LTE bands are the same in Europe so display should be correct for European countries, but I have to investigate in detail. In case you have any details regarding blocked frequency ranges in Spain, that would be nice.

Regards,
Bernd

Brian deLange

Jan 31, 2019, 1:24:43 PM1/31/19
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Keen to try this. A mac version would be amazing!

Thanks

Brian

Diogo Nunes Pereira

Jan 31, 2019, 1:54:41 PM1/31/19
to RF Explorer
Hi Bernd,

Spain is yet to deliver the second block of spectrum for LTE but in 2020 I imagine all Europe wil have the same restrictions.

I find this page very useful in getting spectrum information for diferent countries:

They update regularly a PDF called "Handout" with licensing and restrictions data. Maybe this wil help. The latest:

On another note... I was (bored in a plenary meeting) looking at the files cloned from your github and I produced a file with Sennheiser G3 A-Band frequency tables with the same .json format as yours, to see it I can star helping out right away.

As soon as I understand how to upload it in git (never done that) you can check it out.

Cheers,

Diogo

Bernd Konnerth

Jan 31, 2019, 3:25:37 PM1/31/19
to RF Explorer
Good news! Works on Linux as well. I've just added the Debian package to GitHub release 1.1.0. Installation instructions can be found in the README.md (or here https://github.com/berkon/wireless-microphone-analyzer).

Bernd Konnerth

Jan 31, 2019, 3:32:10 PM1/31/19
to RF Explorer
I'll try to build a Mac version as well. In theory it should not be too complicated, due to the "Electron" framework. Just did that on request by another user for Linux. Let's see ...

Regards,
Bernd

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 1, 2019, 3:55:55 PM2/1/19
to RF Explorer
Mac version is there now! :-) Just be sure to install the Serial-USB driver for your Mac. See details here: https://j3.rf-explorer.com/43-rfe/how-to/205-h2-macosx-drivers

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 2, 2019, 5:32:10 AM2/2/19
to RF Explorer
Hi Diogo,

meetings, meetings ... I know. ;-) Apart from my regular IT-Job (which I like) I have another one as some kind of compensation for sitting in the office all day long. ;-) I'm playing on weddings as a DJ. And so I came across those wireless microphone topics in general an especially the issues which arise from LTE.

Thanks a lot for the links! They are very useful. That is exactly the kind of information I am looking for! :-)

Bye,
Bernd

Roger Bouche

Feb 2, 2019, 8:12:28 AM2/2/19
to RF Explorer
Bonjour,
Je viens de charger votre logiciel.
Mon anti virus me signale un virus de type TROJAN.
Cordialement

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 2, 2019, 8:26:01 AM2/2/19
to RF Explorer
Sorry, I don't speak french. After translating your message, it looks to me that your anti-virus software tells you that the software contains a trojan. I can assure that it does not contain a trojan. So maybe you can add an exception to your anti-virus software. But I can only tell what I've built into the software. If someone would  hack GitHub, I couldn't do anything about it. I'm not aware that something like this has happened. I just scanned the exe on Virustotal.com

Unbenannt10.PNG

It was scanned with 70 anti-virus engines and except one ("Bkav") none reported any issue.

I will also add the hash of the file to GitHub asap.

script warlock

Feb 3, 2019, 12:16:52 PM2/3/19
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
thank you for adding a deb for linux

Script Warlock

Feb 5, 2019, 9:25:38 PM2/5/19
to RF Explorer
and my request for rf explorer gui for linux has been answered and now i can use my RF Explorer WSUB1G+ in ubuntu..

CHRISTIAN WEGNER

Feb 18, 2019, 4:12:14 AM2/18/19
to RF Explorer
Hi Bernd,
what a wonderful tool! Thank you very much.
Would it be possible to add Lectrosonics Frequency charts to your tool?
I am a productionsound mixer for film & TV in germany and my wireless setup includes Lectrosonics and Sennheiser G3/3 Transmitters and receicers.
My Lectrosonics are Block 19 - 30

Thank you very much
Christian

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 18, 2019, 5:39:24 AM2/18/19
to RF Explorer
Hi Christian,

nice to hear that the tool is useful for you! :-) Yes sure. I'm just about to add those frequencies. Fortunately I received them as a contribution from another member in an EXCEL sheet. Thanks also for the link, that one is very useful as well! As soon as I'm done, I'll create a new release of the tool. I would guess within 1-2 weeks.

Regards,
Bernd

Script Warlock

Feb 20, 2019, 10:28:33 PM2/20/19
to RF Explorer
good day bernd, i was able to run your wma inside the linux environment the only missing is the icons in which i think i miss it but yes everything works fine. i might pull request if i have something useful ideas to suggest in your project. thank you for your contribution.

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 23, 2019, 6:06:28 AM2/23/19
to RF Explorer
Hi Christian,

the new version (V1.2.0) with the Lectrosonics ranges is now available. :-)

Regards,
Bernd

JVF Mastering

Feb 27, 2019, 10:31:37 AM2/27/19
to RF Explorer
Hello Bernd

Thanks for the ver 1.20 works great
any way to  be able to export csv files in the near future or any reads

Regards
JVF

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 27, 2019, 2:52:39 PM2/27/19
to RF Explorer
Hi JVF,

no problem. What exact format do you need? Just the 112 values in dBm (which the device is capable of scanning at once) comma separated e.g like this:

-80, 85, -60, ......

Otherwise just let me know the exact format.

Regards,
Bernd

JVF Mastering

Feb 27, 2019, 3:01:17 PM2/27/19
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for replying
I was looking to import CSV files into workbeanch 6

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 27, 2019, 3:35:05 PM2/27/19
to RF Explorer
Sorry, I couldn't find any details on what type of format Workbench 6 is accepting.

JVF Mastering

Feb 27, 2019, 3:40:51 PM2/27/19
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
CSV format accept

Bernd Konnerth

Feb 27, 2019, 4:07:49 PM2/27/19
to RF Explorer
Good news! I just found this great tutorial:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/g0zsbeu1yje5vwd/AADzcatkaAZDd_fMcuy1b-VGa/Tutorial%20RFE%20WWB6%20English.pdf?dl=0

which explains the WWB6 CSV format in detail. So I just need some time, but its absolutely doable. Give me a week or so. :-)

Regards,
Bernd

JVF Mastering

Feb 27, 2019, 4:31:51 PM2/27/19
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Awesome a let of people use workbench that will be real useful
You Rock Bernard

Mat Goebel

Feb 28, 2019, 12:56:44 PM2/28/19
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Worth noting this is also the import format for IAS.

--
Mat Goebel
@nerdymedic

Bernd Konnerth

Mar 3, 2019, 6:39:17 AM3/3/19
to RF Explorer
JVF, I just released version 1.3.0 which now supports export for WW6 (works for IAS as well I guess). Enjoy ... :-)

JVF Mastering

Mar 3, 2019, 9:12:45 AM3/3/19
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Bernd I'll check up later and let you know
That I had to remove ver1.20 or the 1.30 can sit on top with not conflict

Regards
Jvf

Brian Slusher

Apr 5, 2020, 1:21:08 PM4/5/20
to RF Explorer
It looks like your software is very useful for Pro Audio professionals. Thank you for making it! Can you let us know will there also be a release for US frequencies?

Bernd Konnerth

Apr 5, 2020, 3:19:16 PM4/5/20
to RF Explorer
Hi Brian,

your welcome! I'm happy to hear that it is useful for you. :-) In fact US data is already in. So you should be able to select "United States" from the "Country" menu and then you should see the forbidden frequency ranges in red (As far as I was able to figure them out. Just let me know if there is something missing). Just a hint, you need to have the device connected in order to be able to switch the country. Let me know if it does not work. In that case please press <CTRL><SHIFT><ALT><I>, then click the "Console" tab and send a screenshot (of the most likely red messages there ;-) ) to me.

Regards,
Bernd

Brian Slusher

Apr 22, 2020, 4:55:08 PM4/22/20
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Sorry for the late reply. I got it working. Thanks for your help!

Eduardo Balarezo Garay

Apr 23, 2020, 11:06:54 PM4/23/20
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
its possible to have a little tutorial of the software thanks

Eduardo Balarezo Garay
Tec. Ing de Sonido / Tv Peru / RF TECH
 Telefono: 943274417

Bernd Konnerth

Apr 24, 2020, 10:31:35 AM4/24/20
to RF Explorer
Usage is very simple. Just plugin the scanner hardware and start the tool. Then you can choose your country and the desired frequency range you would like to scan. You can also display the interference free (pre-calculated) channel-pattern overlays which are recommended by certain vendors. It is also possible to display the country specific legacy TV-channel grid. That's it. You can find additional explanation in the Help => Documentation menu of the tool.

Eduardo Balarezo Garay

May 2, 2020, 11:27:50 PM5/2/20
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
thanks bernd, how can i help you to send you information for tv station in PERU and others countrys from Latin-America for the next update.

Eduardo Balarezo Garay
Tec. Ing de Sonido / Tv Peru / RF TECH
 Telefono: 943274417

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/rf-explorer/33907f98-239e-4248-ae0d-285d22ef2749%40googlegroups.com.

Bernd Konnerth

May 3, 2020, 4:36:40 AM5/3/20
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eduardo,

in general I just need the start/end frequency and a description for a certain band e.g.:

88.000 MHz - 108.000 MHz   "UKW Radio Stations"

And then there are 3 different categories:

Country bands
These are general frequency ranges, not necessarily related to wireless microphones. I've divided them in licensed/unlicensed and other bands. E.g. for Germany I have listed unlicensed bands here like ISM, DECT, WiFi and also the up-/downlink LTE gaps etc. For licensed bands I've listed the bands which someone has to pay for when using a wireless microphone there.

Forbidden
These are bands which must not be used at all in a certain country.

TV channel grids
These are the old (mostly not used anymore) analog 6 - 7 MHz TV channel frequency patterns. Obviously many people are still using them to refer to a certain frequency range.

Regards,
Bernd

in fact you can provide any informat