Issues between shure workbench and RF explorer

Lucas Orsi

Dec 13, 2021, 3:59:07 AM12/13/21
to RF Explorer
I'm having some issues between scans. Using the shure workbench I've got signals with amplitude difference. I'm using the same antena, I've connected RF explorer at the same antena amplifier that my microphone receivers are connected. So in my knowlege the amplitude of the rf signals should be the same.

Stronger signals are from shure microphone.

See attached image.
shure vs RF explorer.JPG

RUI LISBOA

Dec 13, 2021, 4:04:55 AM12/13/21
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Hi Lucas,

This probably due to two things: diferences in sensitivity of both receivers and different resolution bandwidth used by the the two receivers.
Shure uses mainly 100KHz RBW for this scans. What RBW are you using at your RF Explorer? Also, Shure’s sensitivity and dynamic range will certainly be greater than the RFe.
Remember this: all that matters in the end is what your mic receiver sees. It’s the one demodulating your signals ;-)

Thanks

Rui

<shure vs RF explorer.JPG>

<shure vs RF explorer.JPG>

RUI LISBOA

Dec 13, 2021, 4:09:20 AM12/13/21
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Either way it appears you have too much amplification on those boosters. Some of those blocks are definitely DTV but some leave some doubt. Nevertheless your noise floor is too high to work with in the first place. Is this an outdoor scan?
What is your system like? Antennas, cables (length and which kind)?

Simon Hockenhull

Dec 14, 2021, 4:19:32 AM12/14/21
to RF Explorer
Is the aerial amplifier being overloaded by a nearby DAB or DTV transmitter? If so you might need to resite the aerial, fit an attenuator or confirm the frequency of the offending signal and fit a suitable filter.

Simon Hockenhull.