WSUB1g-Plus with Vantage--SLOW

Zach Escobar

Mar 2, 2020, 12:18:03 AM3/2/20
to RF Explorer
Hello all!

I recently upgraded from the WSUB1g to the WSUB1G-Plus SLIM. I had been running the original 1G with Vantage with no issues, however, when I connect my new 1G Plus-SLIM to Vantage, it takes much much longer to run a scan of the same bandwidth as the original. For instance, scanning from 470-608 with the original 1G takes about 9 seconds. Using the new SLIM unit, it takes 33 seconds to complete the same scan.

Now obviously, Vantage doesn't allow you to adjust any settings from within. I already have the RFE set to:

DSP: Fast
Calc: Normal
Iterations:16

These are all the exact same settings as the old RFE.

I mainly use Vantage to export .CSV files to import into WWB. Ive tried running my new RFE with Touchstone (free version) and it seems to work much faster. I may end up spending the $50 to upgrade to Touchstone Pro (although I'd rather not, since I've already paid $100 for Vantage), but I figured I'd check to see if anyone had any ideas first.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!

Zach

Andy Leviss

May 16, 2022, 4:53:02 AM5/16/22
to RF Explorer
Zach, did you ever get any help or find a solution for this? I'm running into the same thing...I just got a 6G+ Slim to try out as an upgrade from my original 3G Combo, and it's taking 3x as long to do the same sweep as on the 3G. Seems to be the case with both Vantage and Touchstone, although I haven't timed Touchstone since it's already so ungodly slow on its own.

It's super disappointing, I really would love all the other feature upgrades, but the scan speed is killing me for use on live gigs.

-Andy

RF Explorer

May 16, 2022, 5:51:11 AM5/16/22
to RF Explorer
Hi Andy,

We suggest using RF Explorer Touch free application if possible, it is much faster. If you are on Mac then it is available in a VM.

Unfortunately Vantage and Touchstone were not updated by RFVenue and NutsAboutNets to use the faster available modes in the new PLUS models.

Regards,
RF Explorer Team

Andy Leviss

May 16, 2022, 8:16:33 AM5/16/22
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info! I'm poking at it a bit...weirdly, in VirtualBox it was freezing up a lot, but converting that VM into Parallels seems to be working alright. That said, 4096 data points isn't enough for a proper wireless mic coordination site survey, since most mics tune in 25 kHz steps from 470-616 here in the US. Any chance of getting it expanded to be able to cover that full range in a single scan at that RBW? That's the primary reason I have historically used Vantage or Touchstone.

Thanks,
Andy

Andy Leviss

May 16, 2022, 8:30:16 AM5/16/22
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
Also, I understand that those programs haven't been updated to use the newer faster methods, but I'm still unclear why using the older methods it would be so notably slower?

Thanks!

-Andy

Andy Leviss

May 16, 2022, 9:59:06 AM5/16/22
to rf-ex...@googlegroups.com
On Mon, May 16, 2022 at 8:30 AM Andy Leviss <an...@soundguyandy.com> wrote:
Also, I understand that those programs haven't been updated to use the newer faster methods, but I'm still unclear why using the older methods it would be so notably slower?

That is to say, so notably slower than the 3G Combo with the same software and same settings.

Thanks!

-Andy

RF Explorer

May 17, 2022, 8:14:28 AM5/17/22
to RF Explorer
Hi Andy,

Yes, currently 4096pts is limited for certain scenarios, but we are working to soon provide 65K points as well as a simpler method using start/stop + resolution so you do not need to deal with points but directly with 25KHz steps as you may need.

Regarding the slowness in Vantage/Touchstone in PLUS models when compared to standard models, it is likely caused by the method used by Vantage/Touchstone: smaller spans and concatenate to get a wider one, which requires multiple configuration changes for each global sweep. This was never adjusted for speed, it was just the available method on standard models so Vantage/Touchstone just used the best they could. With PLUS models the underlying configuration is more complex and therefore that deprecated method works actually worse.

Regards,
RF Explorer Team