RB upgrade from v2.5.61 to v3.0.15

Gautam Bajaj

Aug 7, 2019, 3:25:12 AM8/7/19
to Review Board Community
Hi,

We have upgraded the RB site from v2.5.6.1 to v3.0.15. For that we had imported the current DB to new test DB as per the doc:

While created the new empty DB, we have used the default CHARSET as utf8. But in the imported DB tables, we observe that the CHARSET of the tables are still 'latin1' (because they were imported from current to new DB. In current DB of v2.5.6.1 CHARSET of tables were 'latin1').

The questions are:

1) Do we need to change the CHARSET of imported tables to utf8 or can we leave those tables as is with CHARSET=latin1? Please suggest.

2) What else we should be modifying/changing to ensure we do not get the below error?

UnicodeDecodeError: 'utf8' codec can't decode byte 0xef in position 0: invalid continuation byte

3) I assume we need to keep the SECRET_KEY value in settings_local.py same as what we had in v2.5.6.1. Please confirm.

Highly appreciate if you could respond to all 3 questions.

Regrads,
Gautam.

Gautam Bajaj

Aug 8, 2019, 1:23:41 AM8/8/19
to Review Board Community
Hi,

Can someone please respond to my queries? thanks.

-Gautam.

Christian Hammond

Aug 8, 2019, 1:31:02 AM8/8/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gautam,

Sorry we haven't responded by now, but we've been busy today. We can only guarantee quick response times with a support contract, especially as those take more of our time these days. We can't always guarantee that you'll receive a response the same day or even within a few days of posting here on the community support list. Just depends on our availability. If you're interested in hearing what comes with support, I can send you some details and get a quote to you.

1) You can leave the CHARSET alone, but utf8 is preferred to latin1. You'll need to change them through an ALTER TABLE, if you want to change them, so that text can be re-encoded. Don't edit it in a database dump.

2) Without knowing the context of this error, I can't say for sure, but:

3) SECRET_KEY must be the same, or you will definitely have issues like #2. All repository credentials, tokens, etc. are encrypted based on your SECRET_KEY, and if it changes, things will break. Sometimes a different SECRET_KEY will still sort of decrypt the content, but to garbage (rather than the expected Unicode content).

Christian

--
Supercharge your Review Board with Power Pack: https://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/
Want us to host Review Board for you? Check out RBCommons: https://rbcommons.com/