https://demo.reviewboard.org/ has broken ssl certificate

Paul Mansfield

Jun 13, 2019, 10:19:02 AM6/13/19
to Review Board Community

If you're going to enforce HSTS you need to keep the cert up to date because it entirely breaks access to the site when it expires

Your connection is not private

Attackers might be trying to steal your information from demo.reviewboard.org (for example, passwords, messages or credit cards). Learn more

NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID

demo.reviewboard.org normally uses encryption to protect your information. When Google Chrome tried to connect to demo.reviewboard.org this time, the website sent back unusual and incorrect credentials. This may happen when an attacker is trying to pretend to be demo.reviewboard.org, or a Wi-Fi sign-in screen has interrupted the connection. Your information is still secure because Google Chrome stopped the connection before any data was exchanged.

You cannot visit demo.reviewboard.org right now because the website uses HSTS. Network errors and attacks are usually temporary, so this page will probably work later.

Christian Hammond

Jun 13, 2019, 3:45:46 PM6/13/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Oof. Thanks for letting me know. Looks like some form of configuration issue, which I'm trying to diagnose. The cert coming across is for the wrong subdomain, but only Chrome is hitting this error for me -- Firefox is not having any issues.

I'll have this up and running once I know what's going on.

Christian

--
Supercharge your Review Board with Power Pack: https://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/
Want us to host Review Board for you? Check out RBCommons: https://rbcommons.com/

Christian Hammond
President/CEO of Beanbag
Makers of Review Board

Christian Hammond

Jun 13, 2019, 3:55:31 PM6/13/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Should be taken care of. We had a bad rule in a config file. Make sure you're accessing using http:// and not https://, though. I'll explain why.

We don't use SSL for demo.reviewboard.org at this time. This is partly to continue supporting people contributing patches who are running on versions of Python that don't support SNI (resulting in posts to reviews.reviewboard.org sometimes going to demo.reviewboard.org or vice-versa, as both are hosted on the same IP). We're hoping we can drop support for those users soon, but we're not there yet. To help deal with this, demo.reviewboard.org doesn't take real account credentials -- we generate a guest username and password people are expected to use to log in. And of course, posting anything confidential to a public demo server is not a good idea.

Christian

Paul Mansfield

Jun 14, 2019, 5:59:47 AM6/14/19
to Review Board Community
starting at https://www.reviewboard.org/
I click demo down in the bottom nav bar. that link is for http://demo.reviewboard.org/ but it still gets redirected/bounced via www.reviewboard.com to the https demo.reviewboard.com

I don't think Firefox honours HSTS?

Christian Hammond

Jun 14, 2019, 6:17:55 AM6/14/19
to revie...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, you might have to clear reviewboard.org/demo.reviewboard.org from your HSTS cache in chrome://net-internals/#hsts. Clearing mine solved the redirect locally. It's too bad that Chrome caches it even though the end result is invalid... Though I get why.

Christian

--
Supercharge your Review Board with Power Pack: https://www.reviewboard.org/powerpack/
Want us to host Review Board for you? Check out RBCommons: https://rbcommons.com/

Paul Mansfield

Jun 26, 2019, 5:11:09 AM6/26/19
to Review Board Community
yes, that worked. the UI in Chrome for controlling HSTS is quite primitive, but did allow me to enter each domain in turn and delete from the cache.