reposado/margarita not providing updates to macOS Catalina

vinod dhanji

Jan 29, 2020, 11:18:14 AM1/29/20
to reposado

Hi

Is anyone else having trouble with getting reposado/margarita to service macOS Catalina? As far as I can see it still servicing Mojave and earlier fine but all Catalinas at present get a message "Can't load data from the Software Update Server".

We are using the apache2 method from https://github.com/wdas/reposado/blob/master/docs/URL_rewrites.md

I have cleared the contents of the .htaccess file and re-pasted the entirity of the example to ensure there aren't any typo's etc. Both reposado and margarita have been updated and apache (and the server) restarted.

But still the same message.

If I browse to the catalog url it opens in the browser and if i run the curl command it gives me what looks like the correct catalog.

There are updates approved in Margarita which are not installed on the mac.

Is there a simple trick that i am missing?

Thanks

Vinod

curl_catalog.png
htaccess.png

Gregory Neagle

Jan 29, 2020, 11:30:53 AM1/29/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com
I don't have any advice for you -- all I can offer is that it does work for us here on Catalina.

There's not really enough detail in your post to begin to guess where things are going wrong for you. I would note that we are using https to serve our updates, and it appears you are not. I don't know if that is significant.

Have you examined /var/log/install.log on an affected machine for additional clues?

-Greg

<curl_catalog.png><htaccess.png>

vinod dhanji

Jan 29, 2020, 12:26:01 PM1/29/20
to reposado
Thanks Greg,

Good to know that it does work and that it's something wrong in our plumbing somewhere.

Correct we don't use https but serve the updates on port 8088. The install log pretty much says the same thing that its not able to get the data from the update server which suggests its the catalog thats the issue or the redirect to it. I might try creating another branch and catalog and see if it changes anything.

Thanks again for your reply.

Kind regards

Vinod

On Jan 29, 2020, at 3:26 AM, vinod dhanji <vdh...@apcoworldwide.com> wrote:

[...]

Gregory Neagle

Jan 29, 2020, 12:50:51 PM1/29/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Have you verified that the URLs _inside_ the served catalog are valid?

-Greg

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reposado/e3c29a3a-1613-4cf6-aed2-5f1c516ab7ed%40googlegroups.com.

vinod dhanji

Jan 30, 2020, 6:04:43 AM1/30/20
to reposado
I've now created a new test branch and it started providing the updates to my catalina machine as soon as I sync'd the repo after creating the branch and deploying. Strangely when i moved the machine back to the canaries branch it also started connected and seeing the updates. So looks like what ever had gone wrong was corrected when the catalogs were rebuilt during the sync.
-Greg