[wdas/reposado] Python3 Compatibility

Doug Sampson

May 15, 2020, 2:38:06 PM5/15/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

FreeBSD has marked Python2 as deprecated effective end of 2020. In fact the FreeBSD port of reposado is EoLed 9/15/20.

Thus I am looking into whether reposado is Python3-ready. I see that there is a py3compatibility branch. Has anyone been using the Python3 version in recent months and whether they do work as expected?

In addition, there isn't a Python3 version of the repoclean utility. Are there plans to convert the Python2 version soon?

I love the reposado tools and would hate to lose that functionality once Python2 has been dropped by the FreeBSD port maintainers.

~Doug
--
Doug Sampson
dsampson01 at gmail dot com

Gregory Neagle

May 15, 2020, 2:42:11 PM5/15/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com
reposado is not Python3-ready.

Apple changes make it unlikely repsoado will be a useful tool in macOS 10.16 and later.

I run reposado on a RHEL7 VM. Python 2.7 is available in that VM, so reposado works for me and will for the forseeable future (as short as that might be).

Therefore I, personally, am unlikely to spend any effort on making sure it is Python3 compatible.

-Greg

Doug Sampson

May 15, 2020, 2:51:10 PM5/15/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Care to elaborate on the changes Apple is making that makes reposado less useful? I'm intrigued.

~Doug
--
Doug Sampson
dsampson01 at gmail dot com

Gregory Neagle

May 15, 2020, 2:52:03 PM5/15/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Run `softwareupdate --set-catalog` on a Catalina machine for one clue.

-Greg

Marnin Goldberg

May 15, 2020, 2:52:36 PM5/15/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com

Doug Sampson

May 15, 2020, 3:02:28 PM5/15/20
to repo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link-- very useful.

~Doug
--
Doug Sampson
dsampson01 at gmail dot com

M K

Jul 8, 2020, 11:07:14 AM7/8/20
to reposado
Is it not possible to twist its nose into sniffing our own local server by setting the appropriate TXT record?

_aaplcache._tcp 259200 IN TXT "prs=YOUR_WHATSMYIP_ORG_ADDRESS"

-Greg

-Greg

M K

Jul 8, 2020, 11:07:14 AM7/8/20
to reposado
The thing is: I do not really care if Apple explodes all our devices (metaphorically), I only care about lost bandwidth cost which is tens of times the price of all Apple devices we have (and we have a lot, and this gives you an impression on how much expensive our corporate bandwidth is; Egypt, if you are curious!)

On Friday, May 15, 2020 at 8:52:03 PM UTC+2, Greg Neagle wrote:
-Greg

-Greg