Proposal: integrate Gerrit-CI with the new Checks plugin at gerrit-review.googlesource.com

lucamilanesio

May 10, 2019, 5:25:25 AM5/10/19
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi all,
just noticed this morning that a new tab showed up on gerrit-review.googlesource.com: Checks.

Shall we integrate the Gerrit-CI feedback with the new Checks API?
What do you think?

Luca.

David Pursehouse

May 10, 2019, 5:56:25 AM5/10/19
to lucamilanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
\o/

Sounds like something to work on next week at the hackathon.

Luca.

Matthias Sohn

Paladox none

May 10, 2019, 8:53:25 AM5/10/19
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
+1, i saw that tab and was thinking gerrit-ci should use it :)

Patrick Hiesel

May 10, 2019, 9:00:24 AM5/10/19
to Paladox none, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
That would be amazing :-)

Alice Kober-Sotzek

May 10, 2019, 4:47:17 PM5/10/19
to Matthias Sohn, David Pursehouse, lucamilanesio, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
From: Matthias Sohn <matthi...@gmail.com>

On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 11:56 AM David Pursehouse <david.pu...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 10, 2019 at 6:25 PM lucamilanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi all,
just noticed this morning that a new tab showed up on gerrit-review.googlesource.com: Checks.

Shall we integrate the Gerrit-CI feedback with the new Checks API?
What do you think?

\o/

\\o//
That would be great.

Sounds like something to work on next week at the hackathon.

+1
I would be happy to answer all questions and help as best as I can with this.

David Ostrovsky

May 15, 2019, 12:07:21 PM5/15/19
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
We went ahead and integrated checks plugin on gerrit-review with GerritForge CI
in: [1] and now it is live on gerrit-review. Here is one of the first example changes
with checker votes on gerrit-review: [2]. Below the commit message combined
vote is presented and on its own Checks tab (right to the Files table) the check
build outcomes table (with URLs pointed to the build logs) is presented.

Some of the missing features of checks plugins that we have noticed (and that why
we preserved the "Verified" label for now and would re-consider to remove it later):

* Send mail notifications to change owners and reviewers about check outcomes
* Ability to query for a pending check using scheme-prefix, e.g., "scheme:"
* Add combined voting checkers column to the change screen list/dashboards
* Add UI for creating and updating checkers. Currently, REST API has to be used
* Carry-over checker outcomes to new patch sets with trivial rebase/commit message edit

Luca Milanesio

May 15, 2019, 4:36:58 PM5/15/19
to David Ostrovsky, Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Luca Milanesio

On 15 May 2019, at 18:07, David Ostrovsky <david.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 11:25:25 AM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:
Hi all,
just noticed this morning that a new tab showed up on gerrit-review.googlesource.com: Checks.

Shall we integrate the Gerrit-CI feedback with the new Checks API?
What do you think?

We went ahead and integrated checks plugin on gerrit-review with GerritForge CI
in: [1] and now it is live on gerrit-review. Here is one of the first example changes
with checker votes on gerrit-review: [2]. Below the commit message combined
vote is presented and on its own Checks tab (right to the Files table) the check
build outcomes table (with URLs pointed to the build logs) is presented.

Good job David, super-Kudos to you and to the entire Checks Team.

Some of the missing features of checks plugins that we have noticed (and that why
we preserved the "Verified" label for now and would re-consider to remove it later):

* Send mail notifications to change owners and reviewers about check outcomes
* Ability to query for a pending check using scheme-prefix, e.g., "scheme:"
* Add combined voting checkers column to the change screen list/dashboards
* Add UI for creating and updating checkers. Currently, REST API has to be used
* Carry-over checker outcomes to new patch sets with trivial rebase/commit message edit

That's really good feedback: the golden rule of software development is dogfood-ing.
Until you try your software on yourself, you never realise what are the gaps.

Luca.

Edwin Kempin

May 20, 2019, 5:38:11 AM5/20/19
to Luca Milanesio, David Ostrovsky, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:36 PM Luca Milanesio <luca.mi...@gmail.com> wrote:

On 15 May 2019, at 18:07, David Ostrovsky <david.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Friday, May 10, 2019 at 11:25:25 AM UTC+2, lucamilanesio wrote:
Hi all,
just noticed this morning that a new tab showed up on gerrit-review.googlesource.com: Checks.

Shall we integrate the Gerrit-CI feedback with the new Checks API?
What do you think?

We went ahead and integrated checks plugin on gerrit-review with GerritForge CI
in: [1] and now it is live on gerrit-review. Here is one of the first example changes
with checker votes on gerrit-review: [2]. Below the commit message combined
vote is presented and on its own Checks tab (right to the Files table) the check
build outcomes table (with URLs pointed to the build logs) is presented.

Good job David, super-Kudos to you and to the entire Checks Team.
Do you maybe want to add these kudos to the homepage? :)

I'm also super excited to see this live. Thanks to everyone helping with this!!

Some of the missing features of checks plugins that we have noticed (and that why
we preserved the "Verified" label for now and would re-consider to remove it later):

* Send mail notifications to change owners and reviewers about check outcomes
* Ability to query for a pending check using scheme-prefix, e.g., "scheme:"
* Add combined voting checkers column to the change screen list/dashboards
* Add UI for creating and updating checkers. Currently, REST API has to be used
* Carry-over checker outcomes to new patch sets with trivial rebase/commit message edit

That's really good feedback: the golden rule of software development is dogfood-ing.
Until you try your software on yourself, you never realise what are the gaps.

Thanks, I agree that we should work on these points.

Luca.