Any small UI annoyances that you would like to be fixed?

Ben Rohlfs

Oct 2, 2020, 4:21:31 AM10/2/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hey Gerrit community,

We would like to hear about and fix the small little annoyances in the Gerrit UI that you encounter regularly. If you have any, please reply or report an issue.

We are particularly interested in issues that we can fix within a day and that likely affect many users. We would also prioritize bugs over feature requests.

Looking forward to your ideas! :-)

Ben for the Gerrit Frontend team

David Ostrovsky

Oct 2, 2020, 5:44:31 AM10/2/20

bro...@google.com schrieb am Freitag, 2. Oktober 2020 um 10:21:31 UTC+2:
Hey Gerrit community,

We would like to hear about and fix the small little annoyances in the Gerrit UI that you encounter regularly. If you have any, please reply or report an issue.

The most annoying UI issue for me is: [1]. I already did some analysis, see my recent comments.

I'm particularly interested in seeing change selection on dashboard or change list fixed:

1 open dashboard or change list
2 select change on row 10 in the list
3 press enter button
4 press u button
5 change selection on row 10 is lost

Also note, that selected file row in the file table on the change screen is preserved when returned
from diff screen.  So that the same use case already works as expected for file table on change
screen but not for change list and dashboards.

Thanks! ;-)

Matthias Sohn

Antoine Musso

Oct 2, 2020, 7:25:35 AM10/2/20
to Ben Rohlfs, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Hello,

I very welcome the initiative. I will take my chance for the few little annoying bugs either reported by our users or that I finally took time to document following your email.   I don't think any went reported to Gerrit issue tracker, will be happy to do so if that eases tracking for the frontend team.

Inconsistency in labels order

Our instance has the Code-Review and Verified labels defined in All-Users.git project.config in this order:

[label "Verified"]

[label "Code-Review"]

When commenting on a patch, the dialog gives a a text area and lists the labels along with the possible votes:

Code-Review | -2 | -1 | 0 | +1 | +2

Verified | -2 | -1 | 0 | +1 | +2

But on the change, they are shown in a different order:

Verified -1 jenkins-bot

Code-Review No votes.

It looks like the patchset dialog sort them while the change view respects the order in which they are defined in the project.config files. That is a bit inconsistent.

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T262224

Deactivated accounts cant be removed from reviewers

When a user is set to `active = false`, it is marked in polygerrit has not mutable which in turns disable the ability to remove it from the list of reviewers. There is no X mark next to the "Hazem" account at https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/mediawiki/extensions/Score/+/609495

https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T257105

Highlight "publish edit" action

When using the web editor, after a file is saved and then closed we are moved back to the change view. The top shows a link to publish the edit but it does not stand out.  Some users thus frequently forget to publish the edits they have made.   Maybe highlighting it with a different background color might make it stand out?

User option to disable UI hotkeys entirely

I had at least one person mentioning they would rather have the UI hotkeys entirely disabled. I think the issue is that when writing text, one might hit the laptop touchpad which brings the focus outside of the text window. The next keystrokes are thus processed as shortcuts and have some fun behavior (abandon change, move to next file etc, got back to user dashboard ...).

It often happens to me, though I could not find a reproducible case right now.

exact project search could use a link to gitiles

When searching for a specific project such as project:gerrit at https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/q/project:gerrit it shows a link to the repository settings. I really really welcome that links which makes my life easier. It would be very amazing to also point to gitiles so one can easily browse the files.

Relation chain order

On a change view there might be an entry for related changes. They are changes linked to each other, or more or less a feature branch.  The current change is marked with an arrow, but there is no way to determine whether the change above is a child or an ancestor. Example: https://gerrit-review.googlesource.com/c/gerrit/+/283236

Maybe adding below the common ancestor (merge-base) between the change and the target branch would solve that? Given:

* (master) I am the tip

|  * Change 2

|  * Change 1

* / Initial commit

Currently when looking at Change 1 the table would shows:

     Change 2

 -> Change 1

Adding the common ancestor might help, and maybe also indicate where the tip is. Something such as:

     Change 2 (top of chain)

 -> Change 1

     Initial commit (master fork point)

At least between Gerrit 2.16 and Gerrit 3.2, a lot of improvements have been made to indicate which are merged, the indirect ancestor and so on. That already made my life easier.

--
Antoine "hashar" Musso
Release Engineering

Nasser Grainawi

Oct 2, 2020, 10:13:13 AM10/2/20
On Oct 2, 2020, at 2:21 AM, 'Ben Rohlfs' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hey Gerrit community,

We would like to hear about and fix the small little annoyances in the Gerrit UI that you encounter regularly. If you have any, please reply or report an issue.

We are particularly interested in issues that we can fix within a day and that likely affect many users. We would also prioritize bugs over feature requests.

As someone who still uses original (CS1) GWT UI daily, I miss this feature *every* time I review a change in PolyGerrit :(

Looking forward to your ideas! :-)

Ben for the Gerrit Frontend team

Sven Selberg

Oct 6, 2020, 11:43:56 AM10/6/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
+1 for making the "publish edit" button more prominent. I have missed to publish numerous edits.

Wouldn't it be feasible to have "Deleted Edit" and "Publish Edit" be the only available options when in edit-mode, and disable all other actions and the reply dialogue?
IMO any other action doesn't make sense when your in the middle of editing.

Mark Derricutt

Oct 7, 2020, 5:50:55 PM10/7/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion, Ben Rohlfs
One I’d really love - fully rendered Markdown view of Gerrit comments, AND commit messages.

Currently it seems comments get somewhat partially rendered, but I have no real feel for what is being rendered.

Sven Selberg

Oct 8, 2020, 3:37:45 AM10/8/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Saša Živkov

Oct 8, 2020, 3:39:52 AM10/8/20
to David Ostrovsky, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Fri, Oct 2, 2020 at 11:44 AM David Ostrovsky <david.o...@gmail.com> wrote:

bro...@google.com schrieb am Freitag, 2. Oktober 2020 um 10:21:31 UTC+2:
Hey Gerrit community,

We would like to hear about and fix the small little annoyances in the Gerrit UI that you encounter regularly. If you have any, please reply or report an issue.

The most annoying UI issue for me is: [1]. I already did some analysis, see my recent comments.

I'm particularly interested in seeing change selection on dashboard or change list fixed:

1 open dashboard or change list
2 select change on row 10 in the list
3 press enter button
4 press u button
5 change selection on row 10 is lost

I actually reported the same issue in January 2020, see [2]

Also note, that selected file row in the file table on the change screen is preserved when returned
from diff screen.  So that the same use case already works as expected for file table on change
screen but not for change list and dashboards.

Thanks! ;-)

Sven Selberg

Oct 19, 2020, 10:03:15 AM10/19/20
On Friday, October 2, 2020 at 10:21:31 AM UTC+2 bro...@google.com wrote:
Hey Gerrit community,

We would like to hear about and fix the small little annoyances in the Gerrit UI that you encounter regularly. If you have any, please reply or report an issue.

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=10894 - Tab markers do not show up when using FireFox

Dhruv Srivastava

Nov 10, 2020, 6:48:14 AM11/10/20
to Sven Selberg, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Thanks for reporting all these bugs.
We collected them in this hotlist [1] and I will try to get most of them fixed by EOY. I already started work and fixed some of them.

Nuno Costa

Nov 11, 2020, 9:11:59 AM11/11/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion

Vitaliy L.

Nov 11, 2020, 3:50:31 PM11/11/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi, here is one more:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=9659 - Losing comments when credentials are expired

среда, 11 ноября 2020 г. в 17:11:59 UTC+3, Nuno Costa:

Sue Kocher

Nov 13, 2020, 12:26:29 PM11/13/20
to Repo and Gerrit Discussion
I tried to post a message about this but I'm not seeing it. Maybe my membership is still under review? Anyway...
The old Gerrit UI had a toggle in the Settings (gear icon) for showing or hiding the left pane. This was really useful for times when I don't need to diff patches, but do need a smaller screen to just look at the right pane.

How can I hide the left pane?
Thanks in advance,

Sue

Dhruv Srivastava

Jan 14, 2021, 4:43:11 AM1/14/21
to Sue Kocher, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hello community,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting all the issues.
We were able to tackle most of them, you can see the list here [1].

We are looking for new issues to fix similar to the ones reported before(issues that can be fixed within a day and cause a lot of pain).
Feel free to describe them here or report an issue.

Thanks,
Dhruv from the Frontend team

Nasser Grainawi

Jan 26, 2021, 3:36:05 PM1/26/21
to Dhruv Srivastava, Sue Kocher, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Jan 14, 2021, at 2:42 AM, 'Dhruv Srivastava' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hello community,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting all the issues.
We were able to tackle most of them, you can see the list here [1].

We are looking for new issues to fix similar to the ones reported before(issues that can be fixed within a day and cause a lot of pain).
Feel free to describe them here or report an issue.

Hey Dhruv,

Not sure this is “small”, but hopefully it is. It seems there’s no consistent (or consistently easy) way to get a link to a comment to share it with someone. I noticed this especially with patchset comments, but it would also be nice to link to a specific comment in a thread.

Thanks,
Nasser

Sven Selberg

Jan 27, 2021, 4:15:26 AM1/27/21
On Thursday, January 14, 2021 at 10:43:11 AM UTC+1 dhru...@google.com wrote:
Hello community,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting all the issues.
We were able to tackle most of them, you can see the list here [1].

We are looking for new issues to fix similar to the ones reported before(issues that can be fixed within a day and cause a lot of pain).
Feel free to describe them here or report an issue.

Thanks,
Dhruv from the Frontend team

Keep the "hh:mm" format of the updated field in change-table up until the change is > 24h old:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=13998

Thanks for all the fixed issues on your previous drive!

/Sven

Matthias Sohn

Nasser Grainawi

Jan 29, 2021, 2:05:38 PM1/29/21

On Jan 26, 2021, at 1:35 PM, Nasser Grainawi <nas...@codeaurora.org> wrote:

On Jan 14, 2021, at 2:42 AM, 'Dhruv Srivastava' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hello community,

Thanks for reaching out and reporting all the issues.
We were able to tackle most of them, you can see the list here [1].

We are looking for new issues to fix similar to the ones reported before(issues that can be fixed within a day and cause a lot of pain).
Feel free to describe them here or report an issue.

Hey Dhruv,

Not sure this is “small”, but hopefully it is. It seems there’s no consistent (or consistently easy) way to get a link to a comment to share it with someone. I noticed this especially with patchset comments, but it would also be nice to link to a specific comment in a thread.

Also probably not small, but one of our groups migrating off the old UI would like https://bugs.chromium.org/p/gerrit/issues/detail?id=5726 addressed.

Thomas Dräbing

Feb 18, 2021, 6:50:00 AM2/18/21
to Ben Rohlfs, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
As the last requests in this thread, this might also not be that small. It would be nice to have a way to filter messages on a change, especially to hide messages posted by robots (non-interactive users). That way it would be far easier to follow discussions that do not take place inline. I found that there are already a few feature requests in Monorail for this [1-3].
I would imagine that there could be a toggle switch that allows to hide all messages of users in groups with the batch priority capability assigned to it.

Thanks,
Thomas

Edwin Kempin

Feb 18, 2021, 6:57:51 AM2/18/21
to Thomas Dräbing, Ben Rohlfs, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
On Thu, Feb 18, 2021 at 12:49 PM Thomas Dräbing <thomas....@gmail.com> wrote:

On Fri, 2 Oct 2020 at 10:21, 'Ben Rohlfs' via Repo and Gerrit Discussion <repo-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
Hey Gerrit community,

We would like to hear about and fix the small little annoyances in the Gerrit UI that you encounter regularly. If you have any, please reply or report an issue.

We are particularly interested in issues that we can fix within a day and that likely affect many users. We would also prioritize bugs over feature requests.

Looking forward to your ideas! :-)

Ben for the Gerrit Frontend team

As the last requests in this thread, this might also not be that small. It would be nice to have a way to filter messages on a change, especially to hide messages posted by robots (non-interactive users).
These messages should be tagged with the "autogenerated:" prefix. Then the UI will automatically only show the latest version of each such message (see [1]).

That way it would be far easier to follow discussions that do not take place inline. I found that there are already a few feature requests in Monorail for this [1-3].
I would imagine that there could be a toggle switch that allows to hide all messages of users in groups with the batch priority capability assigned to it.

Thanks,
Thomas

Ben Rohlfs

Feb 18, 2021, 7:08:33 AM2/18/21
to Thomas Dräbing, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
Hi Thomas,

Do you have examples and screenshots from master? As Edwin mentioned there has been some work done already in that space. An example would make this easier to discuss in detail.

-Ben

Thomas Dräbing

Feb 19, 2021, 1:36:49 AM2/19/21
to Ben Rohlfs, Edwin Kempin, Repo and Gerrit Discussion
@Edwin Kempin Thanks for pointing that option out. The issue I see with that is, that sometimes you might be interested how a robot voted or commented on a previous patchset. That wouldn't be possible anymore via the UI, if I understand it correctly. Some way for the user to control whether these messages are shown or hidden would be nice. This could be based on the 'autogenerated:' tag.

On Thu, 18 Feb 2021 at 13:08, Ben Rohlfs <bro...@google.com> wrote:
Hi Thomas,

Do you have examples and screenshots from master? As Edwin mentioned there has been some work done already in that space. An example would make this easier to discuss in detail.

Our Gerrit instance is running on 3.2 at the moment. But looking at master, especially in Android's gerrit, where also a lot of robot comments happen, I saw the Comments-tab basically solves the issue, since it tidily shows the Patchset comments by humans. I think that should work well enough and hopefully we update to a version providing this feature asap :-).

Liejun Tao

Feb 21, 2021, 9:06:18 PM2/21/21
to Ben Rohlfs, Repo and Gerrit Discussion

It's nice to have an option to disable the gitiles "Download as .tgz" link, example as the attached picture.

image.png

Baibai