3.5-beta versions

Per Nyfelt

Jul 12, 2019, 4:43:42 AM7/12/19
to Renjin
Hi,

What is up with all these beta versions in https://nexus.bedatadriven.com/content/groups/public/org/renjin/? Yesterday there were 4 beta releases of a 3.5-beta

I noticed that since using the scriptengine stopped working as i referred to "RELEASE" as the version. Would it be useful to open bugs on the issues?

What about splitting RELEASE and LATEST so that RELEASE would have something resonably stable e.g. 0.9.xxx and LATEST could point to those new beta versions?

Regards,
Per

Bertram, Alexander

Jul 12, 2019, 6:43:41 AM7/12/19
to renji...@googlegroups.com
Hi Per!

Yes, indeed, we are excited to announce the first beta release of Renjin 3.5!

Please definitely open issues related to the beta release on GitHub.

In general, I would recommend fixing your dependency on Renjin to a specific version. The last release of the 0.9 branch is 0.9.2726. (We do offer long-term support for the 0.9 branch for Renjin Enterprise Support customers).

The RELEASE and LATEST version strings are deprecated in Maven 3, and I will make sure we our documentation is updated to avoid using these version strings:

Many thanks!

Alex

Alexander Bertram
Technical Director
BeDataDriven BV

Web: http://bedatadriven.com
Email: al...@bedatadriven.com
Tel. Nederlands: +31(0)647205388
Skype: akbertram

Per Nyfelt

Jul 12, 2019, 11:05:39 AM7/12/19
to Renjin
Very nice, thanks Alex!

Exciting to see so much activity on github!

I'll go through my projects and see what issues i have (though the issues i had disappeared from beta44 and onwards) and will post bug reports on the latest beta available if i find anything.

Also very nice to see more explicit commercial support available from bedatadriven. One of my projects (which is using Renjin in Play Framework) are in final testing stage so this will be very valuable in a few months.

Best regards,
Per

On Fri, Jul 12, 2019 at 10:43 AM Per Nyfelt <per....@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,

What is up with all these beta versions in https://nexus.bedatadriven.com/content/groups/public/org/renjin/? Yesterday there were 4 beta releases of a 3.5-beta

I noticed that since using the scriptengine stopped working as i referred to "RELEASE" as the version. Would it be useful to open bugs on the issues?

What about splitting RELEASE and LATEST so that RELEASE would have something resonably stable e.g. 0.9.xxx and LATEST could point to those new beta versions?

Regards,
Per

Per Nyfelt

Jul 19, 2019, 7:39:12 AM7/19/19
to Renjin
FYI, I have thrown everything I had against 3.5-beta50 and everything I had that worked in 0.9.2726 works in 3.5-beta50.

When looking at the commits to figure out what's new (it is a lot!) there is one exciting new thing besides all the bug fixes and support for R 3.5.3 i.e.the AOT compiler.
This sounds really cool! Is it what I think it is i.e.a way to pre-compile R scripts and then be able to execute that compiled code?

Best regards,
Per