Announcement: Ride ver 1.1 released

Per Nyfelt

Jul 14, 2019, 5:30:09 AM7/14/19
to Renjin
Hi,

I am happy to announce version 1.1 of Ride, an R IDE for Renjin.

The purpose of this IDE is to provide a nice R development environment, similar to R Studio, for the Renjin JVM implementation of R. It runs R code in the renjin ScriptEngine thus allowing you to run and verify R scripts before creating an embedded R application in java code, or to just use it as a data analysis tool much like you would use R Studio.

It was created to have a familiar (similar to RStudio) interface to develop R scripts that will later run in embedded mode on application servers such as Wildfly or Play Framework.
I use it daily at work and have been doing so for several months now. It started as a tool to develop and test R code that I created using RStudio but needed a manageable intermediary to make sure my code worked in Renjin before integrating it with the java application servers I use at work. Later, it evolved to the point where I now use it as my primary data analysis tool.

It is fully functional i.e. it is possible to create, open, save and execute R scripts, run selected text, ctrl + enter execution of current line or selected text, view packages loaded, see variables created, syntax highlighting for R, XML, SQL and Java files etc. etc. but it has some way to go compared to all the rich functionality of RStudio at this point.

Best regards,
Per

Erdal Karaca

Jul 14, 2019, 9:46:42 AM7/14/19
to renji...@googlegroups.com
Hi Per,
Thanks for sharing your work!
Did you consider to integrate renjin into StatET (R plugins for the Eclipe IDE, and now a project at the Eclipse Foundation)?
Or what was the reason to start an IDE from scratch?

Best regards,
Erdal

Per Nyfelt

Jul 14, 2019, 11:15:14 AM7/14/19
to Renjin
Hi Erdal,

I appreciate the question. Reasons are

1. I did not now about StatET and dont use eclipse.
2. I wanted something similar enough to RStudio to be able to share it with colleagues who use RStudio so they could quickly switch over.
3. I needed something where I could test and check set-up and config before integrating the code into a java project. Ride does just that e.g. I can use the Aetherpackage loader for convenience when developing someting, then switch to Classpath package loader and fix the versions I want in the pom that starts Ride so I know exactly that the code I run will work given the specified dependencies. This makes it very easy for java developers without much experience of Renjin to integrate the code into their project. Maybe this is an unusual requirement but at work we have a bunch of very good data analysts and data scientists who are good at doing stuff in R and SAS but know nothing about Java (and are not interested in learning). On the other have we have many Java developers who knows close to nothing about R. Thanks to Renjin these two groups can now collaborate on projects and Ride helps to facilitate that.
4. This started as something much smaller and then grew because it was fun to do it and I found more and more use of it as I went along.

The Renjin REPL is also a nice tool but it is not an IDE. OTOH Alex already did a plugin for IntelliJ which is pretty good and useful I think so there are options available. I think the more options that is available to help the uptake of Renjin use, the better.

That being said, StatET looks like a nice project and I think it would be good if someone added support for using Renjin in addition to executing in GNU R.

Best regards,
Per

Am So., 14. Juli 2019 um 11:30 Uhr schrieb Per Nyfelt <per....@gmail.com>:
[...]

Bertram, Alexander

Jul 15, 2019, 3:12:01 AM7/15/19
to renji...@googlegroups.com
Dear Per,

Congratulations! Looks like a great start.

Regarding Erdal's points, I do think there is a big difference in the way that RStudio works and traditional IDEs like Eclipse or IntelliJ in that RStudio/Ride I think is "interactive first". You have a single persistent R session that everything revolves around. I think that orientation is very useful to both analysts and especially to learners who find the REPL easy to get started with. So in that sense I think it's exciting to have something comparable for Renjin.

Per, I wonder if it would be possible to add the ConsoleFrame from Renjin's toy GUI to Ride?

All the best,
Alex

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/renjin-dev/115c5a72-47e8-4dc8-a257-13c9c22d5d92%40googlegroups.com.

Alexander Bertram
Technical Director
BeDataDriven BV

Web: http://bedatadriven.com
Email: al...@bedatadriven.com
Tel. Nederlands: +31(0)647205388
Skype: akbertram

Per Nyfelt

Jul 15, 2019, 4:39:45 AM7/15/19
to Renjin
Yes I agree on the benefit of a single persistent R session that everything revolves around. Renjin makes that easy to support and this is how Ride works. Similarly to RStudio you have a menu option to "Restart R" to start afresh whenever you want.

I thought about having an interactive Console frame but finally decided against it. You can just select sections of code you want to execute or just do ctrl+enter to execute the current line so in essence this makes the code window work like the input part of a console while the output part is always in that lower left quadrant which I think is a better compared to having two options and places to run code. Although it is nice to be able to see clearly what input resulted in what output which sending all commands to an interactive console would give you, the same thing will be available in the-soon-to-be-implemented history tab. However, maybe I am missing some other use case where this would be good though so I'll take another look at this. Thanks for the suggestion!

Best regards,
Per

Erdal Karaca

Jul 15, 2019, 5:38:44 AM7/15/19
to renji...@googlegroups.com
OK, got that point: in Eclipse StatET we have to setup a connection to the R run-time/installation, then run an R session, then evaluate R scripts or code against that session.
This may be too complex for beginners. But for long-term IDE users (with both Java and R knowledge) it is a minor issue. I will have a look at the Eclipse StatET APIs to analyze how to integrate Renjin into it.

Bertram, Alexander

Jul 15, 2019, 6:53:13 AM7/15/19
to renji...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erdal,
A long long time ago I asked someone for help in integrating StatET with Renjin. Shortly thereafter I stopped using Eclipse and never released the plugin, but the code is still online:

Best,
Alex