Reminder: open call today on Renjin 3.5 + build system

Bertram, Alexander

Aug 14, 2020, 5:19:16 AM8/14/20
to renji...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,
This is a reminder that in about 5 hours (4pm CEST, 10am New York, 7am PDT), we are going to have an open call on Renjin 3.5 progress, and where we need extra help and ideas on finishing the gradle-based build system.

You can join here:
https://meet.google.com/xms-swsj-yih

Best,
Alex

--
Alexander Bertram
Technical Director

Web: http://bedatadriven.com
Email: al...@bedatadriven.com
Tel. Nederlands: +31(0)647205388
Skype: akbertram

Per Nyfelt

Aug 14, 2020, 6:08:23 AM8/14/20
to Renjin
Thanks Alex, looking forward to this!
/Per

daniel....@gmail.com

Aug 14, 2020, 6:28:09 AM8/14/20
to Renjin
Hi.

My name is Daniel, I wish to join the meeting if that is ok, probably mostly to listen.

I am one of the authors of ClojisR -- a Clojure library for interop with GNU-R and Renjin.
Not sure if I can help with the current gradle build project, but very curious to hear about current challenges -- maybe we could contribute somehow.

Many thanks for this magnificent project.

Best wishes,
Daniel Slutsky

Per Nyfelt

Aug 14, 2020, 12:56:17 PM8/14/20
to Renjin
Here are my brief notes from the meeting:

* Alex will make the Renjin package build system available in the coming week or so.
* We will use this mailing list to discuss the progress as well as github issues where appropriate
* The current minimum set of packages consists of 950 packages (all coming from a handful of high level packages such as ggplot2 etc.)
* There is a blocklist for certain packages that will never work in Renjin (e.g. ones that depend on R internals)
* Due to various reasons it is unrealistic to require 100% tests success so some way to determine which test results that can be ignore is needed
* There is already a way to provide a replacement package for a package that will not work in Renjin in the package build system.
* The initial goal would be to have a reliable build, powered by the new gradle scripts, with successful tests working for those 950 "core" packages serving as a comprehensive regression suite.
     * Once this is working, Alex et. al. have some very interesting ideas about optimizations, debugging R code etc. that could be enabled
* Other packages outside of the core 950 could probably be added and published to Renjin CRAN etc. but should probably be excluded from the core suite.
* We target R 3.5 for now and later figure out what to do when Renjin compatibility targets R 4.0.x

We were not that many in the call but I felt it was an exciting start of something I really believe will help in attracting more R/Java developers to Renjin and broaden the user base.

Please correct me if there is anything I got wrong.

Best regards,
Per

Bertram, Alexander

Aug 16, 2020, 10:48:23 AM8/16/20
to renji...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Per, that's a great summary.

The build system can now be found at https://github.com/bedatadriven/renjin-release. Instructions on how to set up and run the build are in the README.

I've opened this umbrella issue that details what needs to be done to implement a proper quality gate, which is the biggest blocker for a new release:

Later this coming week I will write up an issue relating to the actual publishing of artifacts.

Best,
Alex