Kernels

Gordan Bobic

Jul 14, 2019, 8:26:17 PM7/14/19
to redsleeve-users
Hi guys,

Could you please take the latest kernel from here for a spin and see if it works for you? The packages are armv7hl but that's not userspace dependent, so it works just fine with armv5tel userspace (you may have to install them with --ignorearch, though).

http://ftp.redsleeve.org/pub/misc/kernel/armv7hl/RPMS/
(TODO: test armv7hl on Chromebook 1, Asus Tinker Board and Genesi Efika Smartbook)

I only tested it with AC100 (Tegra 2) and Chromebook 2 (Exynos 5420), so please let me know if they work for you and if you need any changes to make them work with your hardware.

I have a cron job set up that builds new kernels daily as soon as they are released, so these should get auto-updated regularly (may be a few days late if the updated kernel contains a breaking config change requirement).

There are also aarch64 kernels here, if you would care to take those for a spin and you have aarch64 hardware. Only tested on MP30-AR0 so far.

(TODO: test aarch64 kernel on Raspberry Pi 3)

There are also x86_64 kernels in the predictable path, but that's a bit off-topic. :-)

Any config changes you would like to see in these (e.g. adding a driver, doesn't work on your hardware), let me know.

Finally, if anybody is interested in ZFS packages, let me know and I'll expedite putting them up on the server. I have the latest ZoL 0.8.1 working on all the hardware I have these kernels tested on so far, and it works really well.

Gordan

Bjarne Saltbæk

Jul 22, 2019, 9:04:25 AM7/22/19
to Gordan Bobic, redsleeve-users
Hi Gordan.

I have started my vacation today so I have the time to test them soon.
The mainline kernel config are missing some Docker-friendly settings - see
https://docs.docker.com/install/linux/linux-postinstall/ ->

Kernel compatibility -
check-config.sh

Could you please include those ?

BR,
Bjarne

Post-installation steps for Linux Estimated reading time: 15 minutes This section contains optional procedures for configuring Linux hosts to work better with Docker.

Sendt fra Outlook

Jul 22, 2019, 10:00:05 AM7/22/19
to redsleeve-users
CONFIG_AUFS_FS doesn't seem to exist in 4.9.x, most likely deprecated.
The rest of the options will be in the next build.

Gordan Bobic

Jul 22, 2019, 10:20:12 AM7/22/19
to redsleeve-users
Also, I don't think HUGETLB is available on 32-bit platforms.

Gordan Bobic

Aug 5, 2019, 1:14:48 PM8/5/19
to redsleeve-users
Bjarne,

4.9.187 kernels have landed, with the features you mentioned included where available.
Please let us know how you get on with them and if you can see anything else that would be useful to add.

Gordan

Bjarne Saltbæk

Aug 22, 2019, 1:03:03 PM8/22/19
to Gordan Bobic, redsleeve-users
Hi Gordan.

Is it correct that you have compiled it as armv7hl and not armv5tel (i find no reference to armv5tel in the spec file) ?
It breaks yum installs and mock builds which architecture mismatch... (some packages requires the kernel package to build  😕)

I have made some modifications so it can build on EL8 (mainly python fixes) on armv5tel.

Let me know what you think about the patch?

BR,
Bjarne

Sendt: 5. august 2019 19:14
Til: redsleeve-users <redslee...@googlegroups.com>
Emne: Re: [RSEL-users] Kernels

kernel.spec.patch

Bjarne Saltbæk

Aug 22, 2019, 1:05:11 PM8/22/19
to Gordan Bobic, redsleeve-users
Doh, I read the mail thread AFTER i sent the mail. I can see you did write that you made it armv7hl.

BR,
Bjarne

Sendt fra Outlook

Aug 22, 2019, 1:31:55 PM8/22/19
to redsleeve-users
Yes, it is armv7hl. It was mainly intended for testing purposes, not for building against.
I'll see if I can put together the same package but labelled as armv5tel.

In reality, the kernel is armv7l because kernels are always soft float.
armv7l should always work on armv7hl hardware, but because "Fedora & Co" made a decision of "no multilib on ARM", they are not cross compatible.
So instead of having an armv7l package that works on both armv7hl and armv5tel userspace as long as the CPU is ARMv7, we will need a separate armv5tel wrapped package.
No, it doesn't make me happy. But it's work-aroundable and I don't see much of an alternative if you are angling to use it seriously.

It may be about 10 days before I get around to this.

Gordan