New member - Tom

Tom August

Feb 6, 2022, 2:37:04 PM2/6/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi,

I'm Tom and I recently joined the rLab. I live and work in Wallingford and will be using the laser cutter to continue my lockdown obsession with making wooden puzzle boxes.

I've left this puzzle box of mine in the kitchen. Not for the easily frustrated, just get the key out of the box (av. solve time 60-90 min). I haven't glued on the lid so you can peek inside to try and figure out how it works.

PXL_20220204_195813166.jpg

In my day job I'm a research scientist, using tech to better understand wildlife in the UK. My experience covers statistics, machine learning, computer vision, APIs, web dev, smart phone app dev, cluster computing, designing sensor systems (mainly visual and acoustic) and networks, designing drones to monitor bats, genetic analysis (not sure we would use that in the lab!?), as well as experience tracking animals using radio tracking (bats and wild boar) and RFID tags (bats). These days I mainly manage others who get to do these things.

Skills I can share
- laser design
- puzzle box / clue box design
- programming (R)
- Stats
- computer vision
- PhD in Coronaviruses in bats (turns out that was more useful than I thought it would be)

Keen to learn
- How to resist the Maltesers

See you around

Tom

Mr E

Feb 6, 2022, 5:26:12 PM2/6/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
The maltesers for me continue to be a tricky one, but the research continues :)

Anyway - welcome

Rupert

Vance Briggs

Feb 7, 2022, 3:25:18 AM2/7/22
to Reading Hackspace
Hi Tom,

You have some interesting expertise and I look forward to sharing it!

Given the recent relaxation of the COVID rules I am going to try and get down to the space on Wednesday evenings which have historically been a bit more social with a few more members around. This may be a good time to target if you want to meet some of the members in person. On that note, I live in Cholsey and could offer a lift to the lab this Wednesday if you wanted - contact me off list.

Vance

Frans Wilbrink

Feb 7, 2022, 4:48:10 AM2/7/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Welcome Tom :)

One thing from that pic jumped out from that pic for me..
Zeewolde.. I grew up just across the water from in (in the 'old land' instead of the polder).
If you plan to go to that event let me know and I can give you tips of the area :)

kind regards,
Frans

Tom August

Feb 7, 2022, 7:37:38 AM2/7/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Thanks Vance, I hope to see you there sometime soon. I tend to have a work drinks on Wednesdays but will try to be to make it at some point.

Steve Rodway

Feb 13, 2022, 7:30:12 AM2/13/22
to rLab Mailing list
Hi Tom,
Looks like someone's solved your puzzle, came in this morning to find
it like this.

Steve
DSC00601.JPG

Tom August

Feb 13, 2022, 7:35:16 AM2/13/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
I'm impressed! Well done to the mystery solver. I'll have another puzzle ready soon :)

Tom August

Feb 16, 2022, 3:29:05 PM2/16/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
A new puzzle is on the table. A treat awaits the first to solve it
PXL_20220216_202719296.jpg

Tom Allen

Feb 17, 2022, 7:32:36 AM2/17/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hello fellow Tom A !
Really enjoyed playing with the first puzzle, got about half way through then reset it. Very impressive.

I've been trying to learn how to use SURF/SIFT/ORB for a project I'm slowly brewing in the background. Do you have much experience with them?

Tom Allen

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "rLab / Reading's Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/f8d934a4-8ffb-43a1-816f-ebeb21d19993n%40googlegroups.com.

Steve Rodway

Feb 17, 2022, 10:57:49 AM2/17/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
You're going to have to start making these a bit harder Tom....

Steve

On 16/02/2022 20:29, 'Tom August' via rLab / Reading's Hackspace wrote:
> A new puzzle is on the table. A treat awaits the first to solve it
>
> On Sunday, 13 February 2022 at 12:35:16 UTC Tom August wrote:
>
> I'm impressed! Well done to the mystery solver. I'll have another
> puzzle ready soon :)
>
> On Sun, 13 Feb 2022, 12:30 'Steve Rodway' via rLab / Reading's
> Hackspace, <reading-...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Tom,
>         Looks like someone's solved your puzzle, came in this
> morning to find
> it like this.
>
> Steve

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/fc8dda04-6121-0a12-4f55-bc365b00cc9d%40legionelectronics.co.uk
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/fc8dda04-6121-0a12-4f55-bc365b00cc9d%40legionelectronics.co.uk>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/f8d934a4-8ffb-43a1-816f-ebeb21d19993n%40googlegroups.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/f8d934a4-8ffb-43a1-816f-ebeb21d19993n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.
P1020353.JPG

Tom August

Feb 17, 2022, 11:47:44 AM2/17/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace

Haha! Nice one!

It think next weeks will keep you guessing a little longer

Tom August

Feb 23, 2022, 5:50:35 PM2/23/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
PXL_20220223_224446553.PORTRAIT.jpg
This might keep you guessing a little longer

Alex Gibson

Feb 28, 2022, 12:12:43 PM2/28/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

I enjoyed the last one Tom :)

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

edumaker limited

admg consulting

·         3D Printing

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/f4b83d2d-152d-438e-b11a-b8a02d006cbbn%40googlegroups.com.

image001.jpg

dave....@googlemail.com

May 25, 2022, 8:08:28 AM5/25/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
You should check out some recent cel phone adventure games.
I played a lot of free to play content by FIVE-BN games, downloaded
From the google play store on Android. (E.g. Lost lands, New York mysteries).
Some of the more recent games (and from rival companies)
Are actually quite good, with real brain teaser puzzles.