Laser - Switch 4

Andrew Harvey

May 14, 2022, 2:30:52 PM5/14/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Evening,

I've just used the laser cutter and forgot to flick switch 4. As expected, the extraction and air-assist were off.

However, the laser did fire.

There was a very small flame around the cut area that went out as soon as I hit the E-stop. It left some soot on the red anodised tube which cleaned off without a problem. Otherwise, the laser then continued to cut well for my job.

From my induction, that behaviour is unexpected; the wiki says the same.

No harm done but could someone confirm if this is a new thing, if I did something wrong (apart from forgetting switch 4) or if there is something that needs further investigation?

I've given things a good clean but please let me know if there is anything else I need to do.

Thanks,

Andy

Mark Morris

May 15, 2022, 4:59:16 AM5/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, thanks for letting us know.

Does sound odd.

I'm in at lunchtime so I will take a look.

Regards
Mark

James M

May 15, 2022, 6:20:47 AM5/15/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I took a look at it earlier.

The laser seems to be working fine right now.

Andy - do you remember if the air assist pump was running or if it was just the laser that fired without that ? That would indicate whether it's the switch or one of the relays inside the laser that was playing up.

James.

Andrew Harvey

May 15, 2022, 1:47:16 PM5/15/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, both.

Switches 1,2 & 3 were on; the laser fired without air assist. As soon as I turned switch 4 on, everything worked as expected.

Andy