Cutting metal

Helen Roche

Jan 3, 2022, 7:45:54 AM1/3/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Hi all, happy new year.
I have some metal to cut down to size - a sheet of copper, and some copper pipes. It's for making verdigris, so the cutting doesn't need to be super-fine, I just need the pieces to be smaller.
Which machine would I use for this? Given someone's time would be required for an induction on said machine, would it be more efficient if I just ask someone to do it for me? Or does the rLab ethos favour my getting the induction and doing it myself?

Mark Morris

Jan 3, 2022, 8:22:50 AM1/3/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Depending on the thickness of the sheet we have snips that would cut through it
Angle grinder with a cutting disc might be better for the pipe

Neither of the above require induction but with the angle grinder you would need to be competent and resonably confident

I can show/help at some point in the week if you like

Mark

Tom Bayley

Jan 3, 2022, 8:25:25 AM1/3/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
For pipes I have pipe cutters which give a perfect cut, a jigsaw will cut through plate/ sheet if correct blade used.
Or PLASMA CUTTER

Mark Robson

Jan 3, 2022, 8:33:27 AM1/3/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
If it's thin sheet, I'd say use tin snips, if it's copper pipe, use a pipe cutter; both are hand tools which are relatively easy to use. I don't know if there are pipe cutters in the space but I think there are tinsnips.

Mark

Steve Rodway

Jan 3, 2022, 9:12:36 AM1/3/22
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Yeah tin snips we have, pipe cutter I don't think so but they're only a
couple of quid from B&Q, jigsaw would need a metal cutting blade which I
think we have in stock but not 100% sure.

Bandsaw can be fitted with a metal cutting blade by anyone with level-2
induction.

Angle grinder would work fine but beware of the dust and be sure to use
the best respiratory protection you can find. Also the spray of metal
from the angle grinder (normally seen as sparks) will be invisible when
cutting copper so beware of that.

Plasma cutter would certainly make short work of it but additional
safety gear that we don't keep in stock will be needed for working with
copper.

Steve
> <mailto:reading-hacksp...@googlegroups.com>.
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/8c6aa429-b72f-4ae8-b7a9-73d24e4727e2n%40googlegroups.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/CAAn959_JZ6A93ezJF3C8y4V7AFNyh0ePdrcydDYyun-jEi6hkQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/CAAn959_JZ6A93ezJF3C8y4V7AFNyh0ePdrcydDYyun-jEi6hkQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/CAEB-B_FbrsLp7%2B-xhej%2Bxfn%3D-ENHQ9T%2B9G3JkVs-Jo-1jKFAJQ%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/CAEB-B_FbrsLp7%2B-xhej%2Bxfn%3D-ENHQ9T%2B9G3JkVs-Jo-1jKFAJQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Helen Roche

Jan 10, 2022, 8:12:42 AM1/10/22
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Thanks all! I'll start by bringing in the copper sheet and using the tinsnips. Cheers, Helen