the de-soldering gun broke while i was using it.

dafid...@gmail.com

Jun 27, 2021, 10:14:31 AM6/27/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace

The plastic frame-bit that holds the nozzle has broken.

The gun is NOT usable.

Alex Gibson

Jun 27, 2021, 10:38:04 AM6/27/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for the notice, could you post some photos?

Cheers,

Alex Gibson

+44 7813 810 765    @alexgibson3d    37 Royal Avenue, Reading RG31 4UR

admg consulting

edumaker limited

·         Project management

·         Operations & Process improvement

·         3D Printing

Stephen Rodway

Jun 27, 2021, 3:40:59 PM6/27/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
OK I've updated it's status on the wiki, can you order a replacement
assembly for it?

Steve

dafid...@gmail.com wrote:

> The plastic frame-bit that holds the nozzle has broken.
>
> The gun is NOT usable.

Vance Briggs

Jun 28, 2021, 2:37:22 AM6/28/21
to Reading Hackspace
From what I can see there are spare tips

 https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/322514244629

Spare elements

and spare glass collection tubes

Haven't found any spare plastic parts.  If anyone knows where to get them please post here.

Vance

To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/60D8D445.1080909%40legionelectronics.co.uk.

luke parker

Jun 28, 2021, 5:40:42 AM6/28/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
To be honest I doubt you will find the encasment for this desolder gun.

Advice from me

Desolder guns aren't designed for high lateral forces and are ment to be used with plenty of flux, if for whatever reason its not wetting the solder, clean the tip with tip files or chemical tip cleaner if we have it.

I don't know if this one is compatible but worth a look.

"RS PRO Desoldering Gun, 90W Output | RS Components" https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/desoldering-reworking-tools/1372294/

Luke P

Nigel Worsley

Jun 28, 2021, 12:22:47 PM6/28/21
to reading-hackspace
There is a broken pair of these at work:

I suspect that the required part could be cannibalised from one of them. Is there a photo of it?

Nigle

dafid...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2021, 7:22:46 AM6/30/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace

a couple of photos.
IMG_20210630_121111.jpg
IMG_20210630_121126.jpg

dafid...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2021, 7:53:52 AM6/30/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
Two more photos focused on the damage.
IMG_20210630_122050.jpg
IMG_20210630_122114.jpg

Vance Briggs

Jun 30, 2021, 8:30:19 AM6/30/21
to Reading Hackspace
I will look to order a replacement desolder station. Even if we could fix it I don't think it would hold for long.

Vance

dafid...@gmail.com

Jun 30, 2021, 9:40:08 AM6/30/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I think I replied earlier.. but can not see it.

This appears to be the gun for the station.

Vance Briggs

Jun 30, 2021, 9:56:39 AM6/30/21
to Reading Hackspace
Yes, just found that too. I'll order one. Not sure about lead times from the US though so may be out of order for a while...

Will also discuss alternatives with other directors.

Vance

Carlo Zinzani

Jun 30, 2021, 12:46:23 PM6/30/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I was planning to do some desoldering too.
A new gun would help.
Carlo

Vance Briggs

Jun 30, 2021, 4:53:43 PM6/30/21
to Reading Hackspace
I have ordered a new desolder station and will announce to the group when it is in the space.

Vance

Vance Briggs

Jul 2, 2021, 8:21:14 AM7/2/21
to Reading Hackspace
New desolder station is now on the bench. Very similar to last one, but the on/off switch is on the back.

Vance

David Price

Jul 8, 2021, 1:47:34 AM7/8/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I use the Duratool unit Nigl links to, and the spares are very cheap from CPC-Farnell, eg £2.45 for the glass tube kit vs the £9.60 from ebay in Vance's link. A replacement gun unit is £22. It paid for itself recovering a bunch of 12v relays and connectors on first use.

The tools does need to be used and maintained appropriately, I've found you need to clear the tube quite often during use else it stops sucking and maybe encourages more jiggling than the plastic can withstand. After use I always clean out the heater and glass tubes out to keep it working efficiently. It's not difficult with the rods provided.
David

Vance Briggs

Jul 8, 2021, 3:15:51 AM7/8/21
to Reading Hackspace
The physical connections on these desolder stations all look very similar - does anyone know whether they are compatible electrically?
 For £22 it may be worth a chance to try it out?

Vance