Thicknesser Question

Nick Darlow

Jul 1, 2021, 3:51:24 PM7/1/21
to rLab / Reading's Hackspace
I have picked up my reclaimed scaffolding boards and two of them have plaster stuck to them. I've removed a chunk of it but it's proving difficult to get it off completely. I'm thinking I can run it through the planer regardless and all will be fine. Plaster is soft and it's not wet so no gumming up the machine. What do people think?

Nick

Mark Morris

Jul 1, 2021, 4:13:07 PM7/1/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
A wide chisel, which we have at the lab, would probably be the preferred choice.

Mark

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 8:51 PM Nick Darlow <dangerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have picked up my reclaimed scaffolding boards and two of them have plaster stuck to them. I've removed a chunk of it but it's proving difficult to get it off completely. I'm thinking I can run it through the planer regardless and all will be fine. Plaster is soft and it's not wet so no gumming up the machine. What do people think?

Nick

Vidar Velle

Jul 1, 2021, 4:17:29 PM7/1/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Please do not put anything with horrible paint, plaster, old glue or other horrid stuff through the new planer/thicknesser please. It’s just for clean wood, anything else will ruin the sharpness of the blades.

On Thu, 1 Jul 2021 at 20:51, Nick Darlow <dangerou...@gmail.com> wrote:
I have picked up my reclaimed scaffolding boards and two of them have plaster stuck to them. I've removed a chunk of it but it's proving difficult to get it off completely. I'm thinking I can run it through the planer regardless and all will be fine. Plaster is soft and it's not wet so no gumming up the machine. What do people think?

Nick

Vidar Velle
Nordic Glamping LTD
Ph: 07712880021

Stephen Rodway

Jul 1, 2021, 5:22:56 PM7/1/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Please don't, while the bulk plaster may be soft the individual
particles in it are hard and abrasive and will degrade the cutting
edges. Best bet is probably to mechanically remove as much plaster as
you can, then sand them down to get rid of the rest, and only then use
the thicknesser.

Also suggest cautious and thorough checking of the boards for any screw
or nail fragments in them, as even small bits of metal will chip the blades.

Steve

Nick Darlow

Jul 1, 2021, 5:49:50 PM7/1/21
to reading-...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll sand it all down before using the thicknesser.

I've removed all the nails and checked it over thoroughly for any hidden ones.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "rLab / Reading's Hackspace" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/reading-hackspace/60DE3231.2040803%40legionelectronics.co.uk.